Wednesday, September 12, 2012

south Indian chicken curry


I have been blessed with wonderful neighbors over the years. They have become extended family to me and my family.

Our little community often feels like Mayberry. 

We sit on one another's porches and share stories, laughs, and friendship. We also share foods and desserts. I love that one of my neighbors and I share food over our back fence. 

She is a beautiful and loving friend . . . and a wonderful cook! Her specialty is Indian cuisine and curry dishes.  You see, I share my American heirloom dishes and desserts with her family . . . and she shares the most amazing home-made Indian dishes with mine. It's a WIN-WIN for both of us!

Not only does she share her delicious cuisine with us, but she also shares her beautiful culture. We have so many treasured memories celebrating festivals with her and her family. I think our favorite ones will always be Holi and  Diwali



Ok,  so let's talk curry. Have you ever tried it? 

Friends, it's crazy delicious . . . and addictive, if you ask me! 

I adore its warm and spicy flavors. This might sound strange, but it just warms your soul . . . and I love it!



I found this recipe to be quite simple to prepare . . . and delicious! 

It's one that I've tweaked a little over the years. I've served it with shredded rotisserie chicken, medium boiled eggs, and even shrimp. I love that it can be made in one pot . . .  and all the ingredients can be purchased in one store, like Trader Joe's. 

You might need to invest in a few new spices, but it's worth every penny. 

I hope that this dish inspires you to spread your culinary wings and try other curry dishes.

Happy cooking, friends! 



South Indian Chicken Curry
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
1 onion—chopped
2 cloves garlic—finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
2 teaspoons cumin
1½ teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 cup canned tomatoes—chopped
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
2 tablespoons lemon juice  



Preparation
HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

ADD the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, red pepper, and chili powder and cook, stirring, for a minute. 

ADD the tomatoes, coconut milk and salt and bring to the boil. 

REDUCE the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. 

ADD the chicken and cilantro to the curry, cover with a lid, and simmer for another 4 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice. SERVE on a bed of rice, and with Naan bread. 

TIP . . . You can substitute the chicken for large precooked peeled shrimp, and add at the last minute of cooking to heat through.





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!










2 comments:

  1. Delicious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Florist in aurora co

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...