Thursday, August 28, 2014

brown butter brown sugar cookies



These chewy, moist, and delicious cookies have quickly become a favorite for me and my family (next to the sugar cookie).

What makes them so special is the butter (and the brown sugar!). Instead of whipping room temperature butter until it's light and fluffy, like most traditional cookies, you brown the butter in this recipe.

Have you ever browned butter before?




It's a simple process of melting butter in a sauce pan and stirring it over medium heat until it browns. The darker the butter browns, the more it smells and tastes like toffee. Yum. Can you see where I'm going with this?

Browning the butter makes for a more buttery, toffee flavored cookie. And it is so darn good.

You can bake this recipe into cookies, or a cookie pie.





Since hot Summer days deter me from leaving my oven on for too long, I find it quick and easy to bake a cookie pie . . . and then I slice it up and serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

              . . . or how about a soft scoop of Pumpkin ice cream in the Fall!?




brown butter brown sugar cookies
24 cookies
.     .     .     .     .     .     .
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
.     .     .     .     .     .     .
TOPPING
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
.     .     .     .     .     .     .

Preparation
In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 10 tablespoons butter until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to the heat-proof bowl of a stand mixer. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter to melt; set aside to cool for 15 minutes.

While butter is cooling, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In shallow baking dish or pie plate, mix granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, rubbing between fingers, until WELL combined; set aside.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.

Add remaining 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; attach paddle and mix on medium-low speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.

Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into ball between your palms, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet spacing the balls about 2 inches apart (you should be able to fit 12 cookies on each sheet).

Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone); 12 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking.

Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

Recipe Note: Use fresh brown sugar, as older (harder and drier) brown sugar will make the cookies too dry.

recipe courtesy of Cook's Illustrated





LET'S STAY in touch!








17 comments:

  1. You are the best cook! I always learn something new. I've never heard of browning butter, but I love toffee so it's a win in my book! The ice cream on top just takes it to whole new level of deliciousness, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done it again Suzanne with your stunning photography and delicious recipe. I don't know how you do it week after week, but I want to be just like you(oh that's right, no comparing :) ). Wishing you a wonderful long weekend.
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:32 AM

    These sound delicious will definitely have to try them

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at brown butter. It might be my weakness. On ravioli, I die. These sound amazing and need to happen with the quickness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brown butter is everywhere!! These sugar cookies sound amazing. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy sounding! I like the idea of a cookie pie, too.
    Have a wonderful week, Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, I've printed off the recipe. This is one I will make. Love the idea of the browned butter. I can just imagine how delicious this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look like the perfect fall cookie and how I love toffee flavor. Totally pinned and trying very soon. Thanks for linking this up with us tonight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing! I wish I had the ingredients right now :). Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can smell them from here, Suzanne! I bet browning the butter made them extra special. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so tempting and very yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, those look really cookie. I think I would have to go with a cookie pie! And pumpkin ice cream to top it off sounds wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. With the ice cream...sounds heavenly...Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely making these. I make a brown butter frosting for pumpkin cookies, so I KNOW I'll love your recipe. I have a cast iron skillet, too. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not many people choose to use brown sugar in their cooking, but I personally love it. I generally use it far more than white sugar now. These look delish!

    Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:57 AM

    I love browning butter for my recipes, this cookie looks delicious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a must for me to try! I love brown sugar and anything cooked in a skillet! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...