Thursday, May 28, 2015

the best lemon bundt cake!



Lemons! Lemons! Lemons!

This is the third lemon dessert in an amazing line-up that I've shared with you over the last few weeks. Thanks to a bag of lemons that was gifted to us by our oldest daughter's teacher. Thank you, Mrs. Hughes!






.     .     .     .     .
.     .     .     .     .




I'm really excited to share this amazing lemon bundt cake recipe with you.

It's the best lemon bundt cake I've ever eaten.

It's perfectly flavored, incredibly moist, and has a tender crumb. Honestly, it's perfection!

It's my new favorite lemon cake recipe. The perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch . . . a wonderful dessert to enjoy with tea, and a scrumptious dessert to enjoy for any special occasion.

I think it would be quite spectacular with the center over-flowing with fresh berries. Ahhhh, so pretty!





So where did I find this amazing recipe? It's another one from my Cook's Illustrated Cookbook.

They developed a battery of tests challenging the classic lemon bundt cake ingredient proportions, and finally decided to increase the butter and replace the milk with buttermilk. The result? An amazingly light, tender, and moist bundt cake. Sigh.

Cook's elevated the lemon flavor by adding the zest of 3 lemons, which not only perfumes the cake beautifully, but flavors it perfectly.

The glaze! It's a simple mixture of lemon juice, buttermilk, and confectioners' sugar. The zip from the lemon juice and the tang from the buttermilk makes for the most delightful glaze.

Half of the glaze is poured over the cake while it's warm, soaking into the tender crumb . . . oh my heavens! And the remainder is poured over the top after it has slightly cooled, giving it  more of the traditional glazed top that we're used to seeing on bundt cakes.

And finally, I sprinkled a little lemon zest on top for a simple, yet pretty, finish.

Since discovering this recipe, I've played with citrus variations and used oranges (in the place of lemons) and made an orange bundt cake. It's equally delicious! Tastes like Summer!

I can't wait for you to try this recipe! Enjoy!

  


lemon bundt cake
.     .     .     .     .
4 lemons 
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
18 Tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
.     .     .     .     .


cake preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray (the kind with flour), or butter and then flour your pan.

Zest and juice 3 lemons and then mince the zest until it is almost a paste - you should have about 2 Tablespoons.

Mix zest with 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice in a medium bowl and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes. (set aside the rest of the juice for the glaze)

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

To the lemon juice mixture, add vanilla and buttermilk and whisk to combine.

In a separate small bowl, gently whisk eggs and egg yolk.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, bet together butter and sugar at medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.

Turn speed down to medium and add half the eggs. Mix for about 15 seconds, then add the rest of the eggs and mix until combined.

Turn speed down to low and add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Mix for about 5 seconds, then add half of the buttermilk mixture and mix for another 5 seconds. Repeat this process with flour, buttermilk, and flour. Give the batter a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure all flour is incorporated.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until top is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Start checking it for doneness at 40 minutes, and every few minutes after that  Do not over bake!

Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Turn the cake out of the pan onto a wire rack. Set the rack on a rimmed baking sheet for easy cleanup. Pour half the glaze over the cake and then let it cool for an hour. Cover the glaze bowl with a damp towel while the cake cools. After an hour, pour the rest of the glaze over the cake and then let it cool to room temperature.

courtesy Cook's Illustrated

lemon glaze
.     .    .     .     .     .
2 - 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon buttermilk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
.     .    .     .     .     .
Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, buttermilk, and confectioners' sugar to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add more lemon juice until desired consistency is reached - you want the glaze pourable but still slightly thick.





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!





Sharing with . . . .

Thoughts from AliceDIY Showoff, Stephanie Lynn, It's Overflowing, Twelve O Eight, Carrie This Home, Huckleberry Love, Dwellings, Smart Party Planning,  The Dedicated HouseMod Vintage LifeLori's Culinary Creations, Home Stories, StoneGableAn Extraordinary Day, I'm Not a Trophy Wife, Karen's Up on the HillThree Kids and a FishBetween Naps on the Front Porch, Tumbleweed ContessaA Stroll Thru Life,Life With GarnishElizabeth & Co, Home Remedies,  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern StyleJust a Girl and Her Blog, The Recipe CriticJanine HuldieCarolyn's Homework,  Fluster Buster   Designs by Miss Mandee,  Craftie Allie,  Wednesday morning The Blissful Bee,  The Newlywed PilgrimageLamberts LatelyLive Laugh RoweThe Charm of Home, From My Front Porch to ours, Delightsome Life.Posed PerfectionKatherine's Corner,Imparting GraceNancherrowThe Freshman Cook,  Jann OlsonHome  Maid SimpleAnderson + Grant,  Rooted in ThymeShabby Nest Sunflower Supper ClubBlooming HomesteadThe Girl CreativeReasons to Skip the Housework, View from the Fridge3 Little Greenwoods






36 comments:

  1. Your lemon burst looks so moist! I can almost taste it as your pictures are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is killing me tonight. I have checked out 3 blogs and all have posted delicious looking treats. I gave up flower from May 1 until the rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding. I still have 7 weeks to go, but this is going onto my Yum Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon desserts and this looks lovely! That bag of lemons went to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing!! And like Pavlov's dog the mention of your lemon desserts has me salivating. The Cooks Illustrated book is so great -- they cut out all the mistakes and give us the winner -- that's a win-win in my book!! Beautiful photos of a spectacular dessert. Have a wonderful weekend -- Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing recipe. Sounds delicious! Have a great weekend! xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. Lemon bundt cake is a favorite here, so we will definitely try your recipe. You cake and cookies look as pretty as I know they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think I should be heading over to your place. All these delicious lemon delights are making my mouth water!

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks so divine. I love anything with lemons. Just pinned it and definitely will be making this.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful! I can't seem to get enough lemon this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all things with lemon. And I agree, it would be so good with some fresh berries! Or ice cream! Or fresh whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemon flavored desserts! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I need this in my life. It would be the perfect treat for Mom Club mimosa day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious - I'm pinning it and planning to try it soon! I'd love it if you'd share this post at this coming week's Awesome Life Friday Link Up! http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne! I am trying every single recipe! These look divine!!! Pinning and featuring your recipe on my fb page! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been much to long since I've had a lemon cake and I think now would be a good time to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how I love a yummy, moist lemon cake. I'm pinning this-looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh-and PS- I have that cake stand! It actually held our wedding cake, so it has a lot of sentimental value, and I pull it out for special occasions. Great minds thing alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word! I'm seriously drooling over here! I love lemon desserts and can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it at the Talented Tuesday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I'm starting a new board for lemon recipes only. Yum, yum and yum

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am needing some lemon recipes and now I have them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. putting buttermilk on the grocery list ( I have lemons! :) This looks wonderful/ wish I had a piece right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the lemon goodies here. Saw you on the Thursday Blog Hop! Stopping by to say Hello and will for sure follow you on FB and Pin.

    Best,

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks marvelous. Isn't it amazing how a simple bundt cake with a glaze can taste so great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum, yum, yum! It looks amazingly moist and I love glaze on Bundt cakes and breads! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks marvelous, Suzanne - love lemons! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Suzanne! The Weekly Feature Series is live which you are apart of. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series_26.html Hope you are having a lovely weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this cake yesterday, and my oh my was that the best decision I made this weekend! I followed every step and got the exact result you described - a heavenly, moist, flavourful and lemony cake. That crumb is fantastic and it looks impressive in my cake stand with dome. Thank you for sharing this recipe, it's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I am a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated cook books. This lemon bundt cake is one of the BEST lemon cake recipes I have ever come across.
    I just completed the cake recipe. My partner and I will have it for dessert this evening.
    Thank You, for publishing this recipe! It sure does look and smell delicious. I will let you and everyone, else know what the cake taste like.��

    ReplyDelete
  30. Made this today for my birthday. It was absolutely delicious! Perfect lemon flavor and such a tasty glaze! Never did use that 4th lemon though...What did I miss?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looking for products through which you can decorate your cakes at home then click to
    Cake Decorating Printer
    Edible Frosting Sheets For Cakes
    Edible Ink Cartridges
    Edible Colouring Pens

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was an absolutely DELICIOUS cake! Very moist and packed full of flavor. The ingredients lists 4 lemons but in the body lists 3 lemons. I only needed the 3 lemons. I'll be making this again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I make this cake here and then and it’s always a hit! If you follow the directions it’s guaranteed to come out perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great Cake! Sod elitist for the whole family! ❤️😘

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. best stand mixer in India

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's a great recipe just kind of hard to follow the recipe it gives the directions for the glaze then it jumps to the cake and then back to the glaze?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...