Monday, June 2, 2014

yellow squash & Parmesan frittata with garden tomatoes and fresh herbs



I love late Spring and Summer for the abundance of fruits and vegetables these seasons bring to us!

Yellow squash and zucchini are a year-round favorite of mine, second to haricot verts.




I typically enjoy them sauteed with shallots; but when I really want to treat myself to a light and delicious dish, then I use them to make a flavorful yellow squash & Parmesan frittata.

Although you can make this frittata with zucchini, I love the tender sweetness of yellow squash, and their bright yellow color makes for a vibrant dish. This frittata looks like sunshine on a plate!





Frittatas are a deliciously simple and versatile dish to make. With eggs as their base, you can add vegetables, meat, and/or cheeses . . . and they can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner.

I've made many frittata variations over the years, and this is one of my favorites, especially this time of year when squash is at its peak. 

In this dish, sweet yellow squash pairs well with Parmesan cheese . . . and I add crushed red pepper flakes for a pop of heat, but you don't have to add them.

I love the Panko & Parmesan crust on top. Goodness, it is so good paired with the tender eggs and squash . . . just the right amount of crispy on top.

My favorite additions this season are tomatoes from my garden . . . and Greek basil. The little ones proudly picked the tomatoes for me from their plants . . . and did you notice the beautiful, bright green herb leaves in the photos? They're from my Greek basil tree!




I love preparing this a yellow squash & Parmesan frittata for myself (because it's so pretty and delicious!) . . . but also as a brunch or light lunch dish for family and friends. Add fresh herbs and garden tomatoes . . . and you have a wonderful Summer meal.






Ingredients for a yellow squash frittata
.     .     .    .    .    .    .
1 1/2 lbs yellow squash (about 3 large ones), sliced thin
10 eggs
1 large shallot, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter 
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh Greek basil
2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
garden tomatoes




bread crumb topping
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
.     .     .     .     .    .    .,
Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Add Panko bread crumbs and toss until golden brown.
Add Parmesan after toasted bread crumbs have cooled.


Preparation of the squash is very important! 
The technique of sprinkling them with salt and drawing moisture from them before adding them to the egg mixture ensures that you don't have a 'watery' frittata. 

Here's how you do it . . .
Evenly spread one-third of the squash slices in a colander set over a bowl, or in the sink. 
Sprinkle them with salt and lightly toss. Spread half of the remaining slices over the first layer of squash, salt them, and then spread and salt the remainder. 
Set aside to drain for 30 to 40 minutes. 
Then, pick up the squash in small handfuls and place on a dry dish towel, lightly press to absorb excess water from the slices.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ((325 degrees F if you're baking in a iron skillet))

While the moisture is being drawn from the squash, toast the bread crumbs (see above). Set aside.

In another medium saucepan, saute shallot in 1 Tablespoon olive oil, until tender and caramelized. Set aside

In a bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs until lightly frothy. Add the squash, crushed red pepper flakes, and cheese. Stir gently to combine; season with salt and pepper.
In a 10-inch ovenproof, nonstick frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter and 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add the squash-egg mixture, spreading it evenly. Cook on the stove top for about 4 minutes. 
Sprinkle with the bread crumb and cheese mixture, and then place in the oven and bake until set but still slightly moist, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve the frittata directly from the pan, or loosen the edges with a knife tip and slide it out, or invert it onto a warm platter. I love serving it right out of a cast iron pan!
Cut into wedges and top with fresh herbs and fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!
Serves 6 to 8




                             ~ Did you notice the beautiful herb leaves? They're Greek basil. ~




LET'S STAY in touch!








29 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I love the yellow color:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your frittata does look like sunshine on a plate! And against the black iron skillet... beautiful! I never thought to mix panko and Parmesan for a cripy top! Oh YUMMY! I'll be making this when my squash are ready in the garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:33 AM

    We love yellow squash, and this frittata looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Pinning to try later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frittata's are so under rated! They are such a delicious dish and I love how you can change them up so much. This recipe looks delicious.

    Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday at Smart Party Planning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so fresh and delicious.Found your recipe over at Fluster's Creative Muster party and it looks incredible. We host a recipe link-up party, Tickle My TasteBuds, that goes live every Tuesday. I would love for you to link this delicious recipe to our party. Here is the link —> http://bit.ly/1l4cu0j

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love summer squash! I've eaten it many ways, but never in a frittata. This looks and sounds amazing. I'm pinning and will try soon. Our squash hasn't started coming off the vine yet, but when it does...

    I found you via Fluster's Creative Muster. If you're interested in new link parties, I'd love to have you tomorrow night at Gingerly Made's Show & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color! I love that you made it in an iron skillet. Thanks for the salting tip also. Big thanks to Kim @WOW for leading me to this beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! We always have an over-abundance of yellow squash in our garden at this time of year. Pinning this recipe so that I can put the veggies to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! This looks like a great summer dish. I have summer squash in my refrigerator that needs to be cooked. Have pinned this one and plan to make it this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic! Love to use squashes in recipes during the summer and this one would be perfect for a weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing on Wake Up Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! I especially love the bread crumb topping. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  13. If your squash tastes as good as it looks I have been missing out!! It looks just wonderful and I am now re-thinking this veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty and I'm sure it's delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I planted yellow squash. Can't wait until I have some to pick. This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing with SYC. Pinned.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:08 AM

    That looks delicious and a great use for Summer vegetables. Love your skillet btw! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing. I've been trying to figure out what to make for the first time I use my cast iron skillet and this might be it! And I've pinned it for future reference. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love yellow squash, so this is another great recipe to have. I also am a lover of my cast iron skillets. Thanks for sharing, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic! Thanks for linking with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious, Suzanne! I love, love yellow squash, and I've already pinned this recipe. :) Thanks for sharing -- visiting from Home and Garden Thursday. Have a great week!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing with us at Best of the Weekend - I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need more recipes for my squash from my garden. This will do nicely ;)

    Pinning it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is divine!!! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo P.S. watch for your feature on Monday

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks wonderful! I am heading out to my farmer's market and am going to look for all the ingredients. I found your recipe through Best of the Weekend on Cooking on the Front Burners. Thanks for sharing and happy first day of summer!
    Christine @ A Sprinkle of This and That

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for linking up to Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday last week. As one of the co-hosts, I will be featuring your recipe on Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday this week on my site, Detours in Life. Congrats! Please stop by and grab a feature button when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!! Your recipe has been featured at Tickle My Tastebuds on my blog, Lori’s Culinary Creations. Hop on over and grab a feature button and link up your latest culinary creations. Congrats again.
    Link- http://bit.ly/1wsjSLy
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  27. Is zucchini as good as the squash? I have zucchini coming out of my ears and have run out of ideas for preparing. Making with squash right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...