Sunday, March 22, 2015

herb & chicken meatball soup . . . a Spring and Summer soup



I'm so excited to share this simple recipe with you!

It's light and delicious . . . and so easy to prepare!

My herb and chicken (or turkey) meatballs are light and tender . . . and full of fresh herbs.




Although soup typically reminds me of a Fall and Winter dish, this one tastes and smells like Spring and Summer. I think it's because of all the fresh herbs. They really add a brightness to the dish.

And because you cook the meatballs in the broth instead of baking, sauteing, or broiling them . . . they finish so tender that they practically melt in your mouth.

As always, I recommend making your own stock and using it as the base for this soup. It adds an incredible flavorful base for which to simmer these meatballs. You can see how I make mine, here.




And if you love lemon, add a SPLASH of fresh squeezed lemon juice to the broth right before serving.  YUM!

Serve with your favorite garlic bread and 
Enjoy!





Here's what you need . . . 
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons dill, chopped *optional
2 Tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
8 cups home-made chicken broth
Chives, chopped *garnish

Preparation
Heat 8 cups of home-made chicken stock on medium-high heat in a large pot. Turn heat down to a simmer once it begins to boil. Cover.

Saute carrots, celery, and shallot in 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until caramelized and tender.
Spoon vegetables into simmering broth.

In the same saucepan, saute finely chopped onion until caramelized and tender. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix ground chicken, Panko, caramelized onion, chopped dill/parsley/and basil, egg, Parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper.

Using a small scoop, form 1-inch balls. Gently drop in simmering broth for 5 to 7 minutes.

Ladle broth and meatballs into bowl. Garnish with chopped chives. Enjoy!





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .
& Pinterest




Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!




Sharing with . . . .

Stephanie Lynn, It's Overflowing, Twelve O Eight, Carrie This Home, Baking in Pajamas, Huckleberry Love, Dwellings, Smart Party Planning,  The Dedicated HouseMod Vintage LifeLori's Culinary Creations, Home Stories, StoneGableAn Extraordinary Day, I'm Not a Trophy Wife, Karen's Up on the HillThree Kids and a FishBetween Naps on the Front Porch, Tumbleweed ContessaA Stroll Thru Life,Life With GarnishElizabeth & Co, Home Remedies,  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern StyleThe Recipe CriticJanine HuldieCarolyn's Homework,  Fluster Buster   Designs by Miss Mandee,  Craftie Allie,  Wednesday morning The Blissful Bee,  The Newlywed Pilgrimage Chic California, Lamberts LatelyLive Laugh RoweThe Charm of Home, From My Front Porch to ours, Delightsome Life.Posed PerfectionKatherine's CornerNancherrowThe Freshman Cook,  Jann OlsonHome  Maid SimpleAnderson + Grant,  Rooted in ThymeEveryday Enchanted Home, Sunflower Supper Club

12 comments:

  1. I bought the ingredients for this yesterday. I can't wait to make it. I told my family I would wait until everyone is available to have it together. I wish I didn't tell them that! It's ok because the weather is not very "Springy" here. I plan on making this Wednesday no matter what the weather or who will be here. Thank you for the recipe. We are ALL looking forward to Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks simply delicious -- We make a chicken lemon orzo soup that is delicious. And I always think of clear broth type soups as a spring dish. In fact my mamma would make soup year round so I didn't think it strange even in summer. The soup is already pinned. Thank you for sharing your recipe -- your photos are incredible. Have you thought of giving lessons??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suddenly want some steamy chicken meatball soup. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks amazing! The broth looks so good, and a splash of lemon at the end would just brighten the soup up! Sounds so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks delicious. Any form of chicken soup is a wonderful treat. I love your addition of herbs and meatballs! Thanks for sharing!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I love all the fresh herbs in the meatballs. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh!!! REAL soup! I love it!! Suzanne, do add us to your regular link-ups for sunday because I want to see more of this!!! ~ Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love homemade soup and can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays - I look forward to each new post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!! Just wanted to let you know I will be using this in a round up (posting soon) from the Teach Me Tuesday party! Very much appreciate you linking up with us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cosmetic organizations create excellence arrangements of uniquely shaped custom bath bomb boxes. We give you’re possess made to display your image subject lineup. Custom Printed Bath Bomb Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Custom Boxes World would be the soap packaging makers offering customized soap packaging. It satisfies your branding advertising and packaging demands. custom soap boxes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...