Tuesday, September 8, 2015

almond chocolate chip cookies . . . a gluten free treat!



I couldn't decide which cookie recipe to share first . . . these scrumptious almond chocolate chip cookies or my pumpkin spice brown butter brown sugar cookies.

Since we're still a few weeks shy of the official start of Fall, I thought I would share this one first.




I've never baked a 'healthier alternative' to traditional chocolate chip cookies, until this one.

The search for a recipe like this came as a result of having to be on a very strict diet that includes no sugar and no gluten. So while researching alternative 'flours,' I discovered Bob's Red Mill recipe for Almond Chocolate Chip cookies.






So many gluten free recipes contain an ingredient/additive called called Xanthan Gum. Not only have I read many mixed reviews about whether its harmful or harmless to consume, but it's expensive.

What I love about Bob's recipe is that there are few and simple ingredients, many of which we all have in our pantries.

What makes this recipe unique besides the flour, is that it's sweetened using maple syrup (not refined sugar), and is kept moist by adding coconut oil (not butter or vegetable oil). It's natural almond flavor is heightened by adding vanilla AND almond extract.

Here's a close-up of the batter . . . .

The texture is a cross between a traditional chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal cookie, and macaroon (not macaron).  It's the almond meal/flour that gives this yummy little treat its unique texture, and I love that!





I've come to LOVE the flavor and texture of almonds, especially almond butter. YUM!

So if you enjoy the flavor and texture of almonds, then you'll love these cookies too.

Although the recipe calls for DARK chocolate chips (which I LOVE), I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate chips for a cookie that tastes a little sweeter and more like a traditional chocolate chip cookie.  My little ones liked them even more when I added semi-sweet chocolate chips.

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do!




Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
.     .     .     .     .     .
3 cups Bob's Red Mill® Almond Meal
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 whole Egg
2 Egg Whites
2 tsp Vanilla Extract 
1/4 tsp Almond Extract 
1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (or semi-sweet)
1/2 cup toasted Sliced Almonds* (optional)
.     .     .     .     .     .

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 

Combine almond meal, baking soda and sea salt and set aside. 

Mix coconut oil and maple syrup in a mixer or by hand until creamy but not fully incorporated, about 5 minutes. Add whole egg, egg whites and extracts; Mix for 2 additional minutes. 

Slowly add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix briefly. 

Add chocolate chips and toasted almonds* and mix until well combined. 

Place large rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart. Bake until set and golden, about 12-15 minutes. Makes 25 - 30 servings.

* To toast almonds, spread in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Toast in a 375°F oven for 7 - 10 minutes, stirring at least twice during baking for even browning.





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!













19 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to try this - I normally use a combo of GF Oat, Brown Rice and Almond flour for my cookies but they are always better if I bake them in bars instead of a cookie shape. This sounds amazing going to try when my next sweet tooth arrives.

    Carole @ Garden Up Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne I think these look marvelous! I believe we can all eat healthy and I am pinning this but I think I'm going to start a new board -- Healthy Alternatives. Your photos are beautiful and the cookies -- well, I am certain I can smell them. Sending big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even without sugar and gluten, these sound like a perfect treat! I love almond flavors-especially with a chocolate combination-mmmmmm! That diet sounds like quite an adjustment. My mom has recently taken similar steps, and can't believe the difference in her health and overall well-being. Whatever you are dealing with, I hope you feel better soon! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look absolutely delicious. I will definitely be trying these soon! We love sweets but are always looking for healthier versions! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying out custom chocolate boxes has been a proven way to kick the sales level of cookies, and by tossing the right printing concept over the cookie boxes, you will find more shoppers are attracted towards your brand. The children can’t say no to the cookie when these are represented in a fascinating way

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your article. Your article contains useful information which improves my knowledge. The custom box packaging facilitates you with the finest quality Soap Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then no got to worry as Enhancecustom printed bakery boxes overcomes all of your worries by offering you the takeout boxes leak-proof and add multi-layered cardboard sheets that store your baked food with the utmost convenience and airtight packaging protect it from getting spoiled by external factors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best crossbow under 400 Most of these are geared towards adults, but that doesn’t mean that youths should be introduced to and enjoy the sport of crossbow shooting.Best recurve bow for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is very much informative. The information source was outstanding.
    I also have some information related to Best crossbow under 500 Best crossbow for deer hunting Best cordless drill under $50 Best snow plow for polaris ranger

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m glad to announce here that you will find no issue with any of our services. Here are some important services you need to keep in mind. Building contractors south London House builders London

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read a lot of online articles on this topic lately. Yours is the only one that really made sense to me. This is great.
    Custom Brown Bakery Packaging Boxes Services

    ReplyDelete
  13. Custom chocolate boxes elevate the joy of gifting. Crafted with precision, they reflect sentiments and sweetness. Custom Chocolate Boxespersonalized delights wrap delectable chocolates in elegance, making celebrations memorable. From birthdays to weddings, they add a touch of luxury, inviting indulgence and delight in every bite. Perfect for sharing love, one chocolate at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mamra badam, also known as the king of almonds, holds a special place in my heart and taste buds. Originating from Iran, Mamra badam is a unique variety that stands out for its small size and wrinkled appearance. As a child growing up in an Indian household, this exquisite nut was always present on our kitchen shelves. The distinct flavor and rich texture made it my go-to snack during study breaks or movie nights with friends.

    What sets Mamra badam apart is not just its delectable taste but also its numerous health benefits. Packed with essential nutrients like vitamin E, magnesium, and protein, this tiny powerhouse contributes to overall wellbeing. Whenever I would feel low on energy or needed an extra boost to get through the day, a handful of Mamra badam was all I needed to feel revitalized. Furthermore, it has been said that this almond variety improves brain function and helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.

    As the years have gone by, my love for Mamra badam has only grown stronger. No matter where life takes me or what new snacks hit the market, this traditional Iranian gem will always hold a special place in my pantry and nourish both body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stumbled upon your blog while searching for some delicious gluten-free cookie recipes, and I must say, I'm truly impressed by your almond chocolate chip cookies!
    promocodehq

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look absolutely mouthwatering, and your step-by-step instructions make it seem like even a novice baker like me could give them a try.

    I appreciate the effort you've put into sharing your recipes and tips with the online community.
    frugalishness

    ReplyDelete
  17. "The author's writing style is so engaging and informative. I always look forward to reading their new posts."
    asus student discount

    ReplyDelete
  18. "The real-world applications and practical advice shared in this blog have made a positive impact on my personal and professional life."
    Uline Free Gifts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...