Monday, April 22, 2013

my "catch-all" corner make-over

We all have a nook, desk, or corner in our home that we call "ours" . . .  

that corner we're not always proud to show off!

You know, that place we throw our keys . . . let mail pile up . . . a collector of all things small and tiny and odd.



I would tidy up my catch-all shelf about once a month, and was always surprised at what I found among the mail, cards, papers, receipts, hair bows, bottles of nail polish, nails & screws, and "lost" gift cards.  


It was always a task that I dreaded, because I knew that it would take at least an hour out of my day to put every thing back where it belonged. And the worst part was always finding a place for the "new thing(s)." Sometimes it required making a new file, or squeezing it into an already cramped place/cupboard. Argh.

I probably wouldn't have contemplated a make-over for my "catch-all" shelf, BUT it's a space that's visible from almost any angle in the kitchen, dining and family living area . . . and I was often embarrassed by it when we had visitors. 

I always hoped no one would look "over there." Ugh.

And then one day I found a beautiful, small braided basket  . . . and thought it would be the perfect size for my catch-all shelf. A basket to hold all the small and tiny and odd things that were always falling off the shelf and on to the floor. 

And so it was the small basket that inspired re-creating and making anew my hopeless corner. 



My little corner and catch-all shelf hasn't always looked like this . . . peaceful . . . organized . . . pretty.

I wish I could find the BEFORE shot I took of it, so that you see the before and AFTER transformation. *I will add it to this post when I find it!



I chose to cover this small wall with a framed chalkboard because I wanted to create a backdrop for changing art. 

I love the idea of writing personal messages to my husband, loving introductions to family and friends who will be joining us for dinner, or to stay as house guests; creatively sharing menus for dinner parties; and drawing colorful pictures for my kids around the holidays, or just because.

And so a vision for my "catch-all" shelf and corner began to take shape.

I had fun designing the "prettiness" of it, but had to put quite a bit of thought into the organization part of it.  

All that stuff that was on the shelf needed a new home . . . a new way of being organized; but most importantly, I had to create a system that would work for me, and one that I could stick to.

I love baskets. They're not only beautiful, but they're a great way to store items that you don't want to look at!


I think every room in our home has at least 1, if not 2 baskets!

I also LOVE natural fibers like jute, and canvas, especially canvas bags! 



So I was quite happy when I found these small, zipper totes/clutches at Michael's.  

Their size attracted me to them, but when I read what was printed on them ~ I had to have them! 

 

   

These little totes/clutches help keep me organized now!

No 1 clutch  holds all my coupons.  I clip coupons every Sunday, and organize them in this canvas clutch; and on Monday mornings I throw it in my purse, and use it throughout the week. It's working great!

Being Yourself is the Key is my largest clutch, and IT holds all our daughters' hair bows! It's great ~ now they're not falling off my shelf and onto the floor. Problem solved.

The Le Fleur clutch holds our gift cards and receipts! It's great to have them all in one place! 

And the beautiful DAMASK print bag holds my baseball cap and magazines! It sure makes for a quick get away when I know I have a doctor appointment, or trip to the park with the kids.

And that BIG, GORGEOUS basket on the floor . . . well, it holds bags of items that need to be returned! I used to hang the bags on the hooks, but they took up alot of room ~ and were quite bulky. Now I place them in the basket.  So now when I need to make a return, I reach into the basket for the bag that I need, and then grab the clutch that holds receipts. No endless searching or frustration any more. Happiness!


The pièce de résistance of the corner is the framed chalkboard!

I'm in love! 


Instead of scowling when I see that corner, I smile, and smile, and smile. It's pretty now, and I actually like looking in that direction. 

Since there are quite a few framed chalkboard "production" photos, I thought I would share a "how to" post instead of cramming all the details into THIS post.

Stay tuned! 

~ my pretty little corner ~
 




Small clutches from Michael's 
DAMASK Canvas bag from Hobby Lobby
Baskets from Home Goods



Thanks for stopping by!











28 comments:

  1. Let me the first to comment! A M A Z I N G !!
    You did a great job! Love the color, function, and arrangement. I am new to your site...can't wait to look around for more great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Norm! Thank you for your kind comments!
    Please come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love your chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this! I've been looking for something to do with my funky junk corner, which is under kitchen cabinets... I think I will be moving my junk to something like this in my laundry room! Great job :)

    Karlie@mamawhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karlie! I love my catch-all basket. I found a system that works for me, and that's the key to successful organizing. I can honestly say that my "catch-all" corner still looks like the photos above, minus the flowers . . . I change those weekly :o)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous little corner! Thank you so much for linking up, I will be featuring this on my next party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! What an awesome inspiration! I really need to do something like this. It would make me smile too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Savannah!
      I have so much fun writing new phrases on it! My kids brainstorm ideas with me, which excites them as well.
      I hope you make one for your home too!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Suzanne

      Delete
  8. You are so clever and orgaized. I love this idea. I think this is the most well thouht out area I have ever seen. I need to rething a few place in my house. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect little nook! You took a space that could easily be a "walk by" area and gave it the look and functionality of it's own little room. It's beautiful!

    -Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I love that your space is organized and functional but still looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I have a few areas in my home that need some sprucing up...great ideas! Come link up your post at my party Centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/07/centerpiece-wednesday-85-and-wrap-up.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin!
      So happy you stopped by!
      Thanks for the invitation to link up!
      Suzanne

      Delete
  12. I love your little corner! The flowers, bags, and basket are perfect there. I think we're on the same wavelength. It's just lovely.

    p.s. I was unable to reply to your comment because your mail basket is full. I purchased the black trimmed hat at Walgreen Drug (I know!) 2 years ago for only $8! I bought it to wear kayaking, but it's too big, so I use it to decorate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is what I calling aesthetically appealing organization. Love the little clutches very clever and it looks GREAT!
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KathySue!
      Have a great weekend,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  14. So cute! I LOVE baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty...and organized!!! Best of both worlds! Love the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Organized and pretty! What a great feeling that must be. You did a great job with this area.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I came over from Give Me The Goods and love this. Our area is right by our front door, almost centered in our living room. I have a great piece of furniture, art on the wall, a key holder, and a basket (two small but cute and it came from another country as a gift) but it still lacks character and true organization. I love your area and the chalkboard is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this little area you created. Really would like to know what type of chalk you used on that gorgeous board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen!

      Thanks so much for coming by, and sharing such kind comments!
      You can find answers to your questions here . . .
      http://simplysuzannes.blogspot.com/2013/05/framed-chalkboard-how-to.html
      Please come by again soon.
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  19. That turned out great!! I think a chalkboard and hydrangeas make everything prettier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous, love your shelf, little clutches, tote bag, baskets, all of it, look so pretty. Now you'll be the envy of all who view your corner. Love that basket on floor, the size and shape is perfect. Great job organizing and prettying. Our Michaels never had those cute little canvas clutches. Enjoy your gorgeous corner.
    Happy week

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes...every room needs baskets! This coming from a basket fanatic! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  22. I chose to cover this small wall with a framed chalkboard because I wanted to ... icornershelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That basket exactly what I am searching for to go under my entry shelf! Do you remember where it was purchased? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...