Monday, April 27, 2015

roast chicken thighs with purple potatoes, artichokes, beets, and lemons



Do you have any dishes in your recipe arsenal that are worthy of company, yet versatile enough to be served on a week night for your family?

Well, I have a recipe that's great for when you have guests over AND a casual family dinner.  




Do you have a handful of  "Company" recipes, too?  

You know - delicious, fool-proof recipes that you've made so many times that you can prep them with your eyes closed?  

We all know that it's not wise to prepare NEW dishes when you're having guests. Entertaining should be easy and stress-free. That's one of the reasons I recommend sticking to recipes that you feel confident in making and serving when you have guests over.




I thought I would share one of my all-time favorite  'at home' and 'company' dishes . . . roasted chicken thighs with seasonal vegetables! 

What I love most about this recipe, besides that it's delicious - is that it's also a seasonal dish.  

The vegetables that you add can be the season's best. 

So purple & red potatoes and vibrant yellow beats in the Spring . . . and butternut squash, pumpkin, brussel sprouts, and parsnips in the Fall. 




We had company for Sunday dinner last weekend, and I served a Spring version of my roast chicken thighs . . . with beautiful purple potatoes, artichokes, bright yellow beats, and thinly sliced lemons.  






I roast the chicken and vegetables in cast iron skillets, because I love the added crisp they give to the ingredients; but you can also use a sheet pan.

When I serve our family on a week night, I serve the chicken and vegetables right out of the skillets . . . and when we have company I transfer the chicken and vegetables onto a large white platter, which dresses up this humble dish; and then flank the platter with sauteed asparagus.  


~ casual weeknight dinner ~

  


~ served on a white platter for company ~


A simple lemon vinaigrette is drizzled atop the chicken and roasted vegetables just before serving, adding a delightful fresh flavor to the whole dish. It really brightens up all the roasted flavors!

Have I mentioned yet that it's a one pan dish, too? As in, everything is baked in one pan/skillet, which makes it a easy to prepare AND clean-up! Yay!

Roast chicken thighs with seasonal vegetables is a light and delicious dish . . . worthy of casual 'at home' dinners, as well as, more formal gatherings. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!






roast chicken thighs
with purple potatoes, artichokes, yellow beets, and lemons
.     .     .     .     .     .     .
1/4 cup, plus 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, more for the baking sheet
4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed of excess skin and fat
10- to 12-oz. package frozen artichoke hearts, preferably Trader Joe's brand
1 lemon
1 lb. small purple potatoes,  those over 2 inches cut in half
4 shallots, peeled and halved
4 yellow beets, peeled and sliced  
4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped 
.     .     .     .     .     .     .


Preparation
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.

Lightly oil a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet. Put the chicken thighs on the baking sheet (or in cast iron skillets) with plenty of room in between them. Season well with salt and pepper, and roast in the hot oven for 15 minutes.




Meanwhile, remove the artichokes from their package and rinse them in a colander under warm water to separate them and to begin to thaw them. (It's fine if they're still partially frozen when you roast them.) Drain them well.

Thinly slice half the lemon and juice the other half. 

Measure 4 teaspoons of the juice into a small bowl and whisk in 3 Tablespoons of the olive oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Save any remaining juice for another use.

Put the artichokes in a large bowl with the potatoes, shallots, beets, thyme sprigs, lemon slices, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon. of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Toss to coat well.




When the thighs have roasted for 15 minutes, take the baking sheet out of the oven. Dump the artichokes, potatoes, and lemon slices onto the baking sheet in the empty spots surrounding the thighs. 

Try to distribute things more or less evenly and in a single layer so the vegetable get nicely browned. Keep the lemon slices toward the center of the pan so they don't burn.

Continue roasting until the chicken skin is crisp, the meat cooked through, and the artichokes and potatoes are tender and browned, another 30 to 35 minutes.

Divide the thighs and the vegetables among four plates. 

Drizzle each serving with the lemon vinaigrette and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and fresh chopped Italian parsley.







LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .
& Pinterest



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!







23 comments:

  1. I so admire your cooking skills! Not to mention your photography skills when taking photos of food.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm- this looks amazing. Comfort food, but fresh and light. I love one pan dishes, and I'm always grateful for an easy recipe that still "WoWs" the company. I often feel the need to get ambitious and make something fancy and new, but I've learned over the years to stick to the tried-and-true. You're right-way less stressful! Thanks for sharing! Hope you're having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be passing this on on to the head chef!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and I wish I had a head chef like the commenter above me! :) I need to study this recipe and try it. Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe looks too pretty to eat although I swear I can smell the delicious aroma! Your pictures are fantastic and I love your bread boards!! Hope your week is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection!!! I LOVE roasted beets. I made something similar last night. Chicken thighs, garbanzo beans, kale, and lemons. All in a cast iron skillet. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that will be a hit in our home!~ What a great recipe, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe sounds delicious and your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recipe sounds delicious and your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dinner looks absolutely healthy and delicious. Your pictures are always so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely delicious, what a great spring dinner! I love how flavorful chicken thighs are, and they look so good with all these vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicken thighs are the best part of the chicken, in my opinion, and I love roasted vegetable. Looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful meal! I love that it is all in one pan, and the fall version sounds fabulous as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your food photos are to die for...especially since I haven't had dinner yet. Seriously...always love visiting here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how flexible the recipe is--changing veggies with the season for a whole different dish. Going to try this on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This roast chicken dish with all the gorgeous veggies looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I look forward to seeing what you have to share this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful dinner, cooked to perfection. Great photos as always.

    Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mouth is watering just looking at the photos! This looks so yummy, and easy to make, too! Thank you for sharing at Talented Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your cooking recipe. As a chef I really appreciate your style of cooking. To Order the best Andhra Style Food Online visit Andhra Food Home Delivery at Indiranagar | Order Online Food for
    Home Delivery at Kammanahalli

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing this content. This was very helpful for me.

    nutmeg online, Buy Turmeric Online, Cocoa beans for sale

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about lemon.Please keep sharing.
    Lemon Face Wash

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this recipe is amazing and no one would never miss Kerala spices online

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...