Thursday, May 7, 2015

asparagus and fried eggs on a toasted baguette



I'm so excited to share this simple and delicious appetizer with you!

Well,  it can be an appetizer or part of a meal . . . that's what makes them so great.

I make these on the weekend for a light and easy lunch for myself and my husband . . . and when I serve them for dinner, I add a fresh arugula salad with garden heirloom tomatoes, and a simple vinaigrette. Yum!

And the best part . . . the soft cooked egg yolks become a delicious sauce for the bread, prosciutto, and asparagus. If you don't have prosciutto, then substitute with bacon . . . It tastes great too!

The creamy, salty Pecorino Romano (and fresh cracked pepper!) makes this simple dish extra yummy!




I think you'll love how fast and easy it is to prepare; and the best part . . .  it's all made in one pan! Just like my recipe for roasted chicken thighs with Spring vegetables.

This is one simple dish that I know you and your family will love, too!





asparagus, prosciutto, and fried eggs 
on a toasted baguette
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
Cut four 1/2-inch thick slices of baguette, on a diagonal.
Lightly toast.
Rub one side of each slice with a large clove of garlic and brush lightly with olive oil.
Put one slice on each of the 4 plates. 
Ribbon one slice of Prosciutto on each slice of bread (see photos below).

Trim 1 pound of asparagus. 
Put in a 12-inch nonstick skillet with 1/2 cup water, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.

When the asparagus is ready, divide it among the pieces of toast.

Wipe out the skillet with paper towels if wet, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, then crack one egg at a time into the hot skillet, sprinkle each with salt and freshly ground pepper; cover, and cook over low heat until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes.

Top each toast with an egg.

Garnish with Pecorino Romano and serve.








LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .
& Pinterest





Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!



17 comments:

  1. I love eggs and asparagus. These look like a perfect spring lunch! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bummed that I am allergic to eggs because that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mamma Mia!! I've pinned this to appetizers, breakfast, lunch and dinner. You have to have Italian blood in you because such luscious pairings had to be Italian inspired. This is going to be my breakfast request for Mothers Day -- well, I may request it but I'll have to do it. That's okay!! I love to cook and it will be oh so worth it. Did you get any yolk on your lens? I would have probably fallen head first into that delicious dish. Thank you for the inspiration. Have a wonderful Mothers Day!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love asparagus, eggs and bread, a very winning combination! Thanks for sharing and happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything involving asparagus and eggs is good for me- I love the addition of prosciutto. I wonder what it would be like with crispy prosciutto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look absolutely beautiful and delicious! I am definitely going to make them.
    Lori from LL Farm

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous and sound delicious, wish I could take a bite right now! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, these look (quite simply) absolutely perfect! What a great combination. Pinning, because I must make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know about an appetizer, as I could certainly eat this as an entire meal....lol. That fried egg on the crunchy toast...super yum!!

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made me hungry now :-)

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fried eggs and prosciutto - this combo on toasted bread sounds heavenly! Thank you for sharing again this week at Talented Tuesdays - pinning for future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks so fresh and delicious! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! This looks fantastic. I don't how you keep coming up with such great recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good! I've done asparagus with scrambled eggs before, and I love the combination, but adding some bread and bacon/Prosciutto to it sound heavenly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband will be obsessed with this... It's such a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so perfect for our busy Wednesday nights to make for my husband and I when I am looking for something quick but really good. It looks delicious and I don't have to slave over the stove!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is perfect! I love all of the ingredients. Will have to try this whilst we still have asparagus season here. Thanks for sharing :)

    Stopping by from Reasons to Skip the Housework, have a nice week!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...