Tuesday, May 6, 2014

an old-fashioned buttermilk pie and fresh blackberries



I made this humble pie for our Easter gathering a few weekends ago.

Have you ever tried a buttermilk pie?




The filling reminds me of custard. It's creamy, tender sweetness pairs well with vibrant, beautiful Spring and Summer berries. I paired ours with fresh blackberries macerated in honey and lemon zest.

I love the idea of pairing it with a strawberry and rhubarb compote in the Summer.




Can you see the vanilla bean specks in the yellow custard, just under the lightly crisped top?

The white dusting you see on top is confectioners' sugar.




There are just a few ingredients . . . like butter, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon, making this a simple, humble pie. I substituted vanilla bean for pure vanilla extract for added richness, and added the zest of a lemon to brighten the flavors.




It was the perfect light dessert after a big brunch!

I'm a big fan of simple and easy desserts, and this is one of them. It might be humble in its appearance and ingredients, but what makes it so special is that it can be paired with seasonal fruits and berries, making it an any-time of year pie . .  and I love that!




For the crust . . .
Prepare your favorite pie crust recipe, or buy an already prepared pie crust. 
My favorite is Trader Joe’s pie crust.

For the filling . . .
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at soft room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded (or 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

For the blackberry topping . . .
2 cups blackberries, lightly mashed (leave a few of them whole)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 Tablespoon honey




Prepare the crust . . .
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a circle about 13 inches in diameter and 1⁄8 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough. Trim the edges so they extend about 1⁄2 inch beyond the pan. Tuck the dough under itself to create a rim. Use your fingers or a fork to make a decorative rim. 
Refrigerate the pie shell for about 20 minutes.

Bake the crust . . .
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the dough starts to look dry, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is very lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.

Preparation of custard filling . . .
In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until lightened, about 3 minutes.
Beat in the eggs. Stir in the flour, salt, buttermilk, vanilla beans, and lemon zest. Pour the filling into the shell. Bake until the top is golden brown and the custard has set, about 45 minutes.
Let cool completely. Dust the pie with confectioners’ sugar, if you like.

Preparation of blackberry topping
Carefully mash the blackberries, leaving a few of them whole. Add honey (more if needed) and lemon zest, and stir until combined. Refrigerate.

Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, optional.
Serve with fresh berries, enjoy!






LET'S STAY in touch!






21 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, and yum! My girlfriend makes a buttermilk pie that's delicious. The fresh fruit would be amazing. Gotta give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Blackberries are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this for Mother's Day with a strawberry rhubarb compote. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this... pinned. I never heard of it and I love buttermilk. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds so good! I love baking with buttermilk so I must try this! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, mouth watering here! There should be a blog law that says you cant post food that looks that good without mailing a sample....not fair! lol Wow that looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not had a buttermilk pie before. It looks very yummy...your photos are lovely. pinned to try. Stopping by from off the hook linky (and onlinesisterhood). have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my great grandmother's buttermilk pie. So yummy. Your recipes looks different and I would be curious to try it. I found you through A stroll thru life link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried a buttermilk pie, but this looks absolutely delicious! I cannot wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was really into baking pies for a few years, but haven't for a while. I'll have to get back into with this one. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks Delicious. I can't wait for my blackberries to get ripe so I can bake up this lovely pie. Thanks for sharing...Shari @ www.puregracefarms.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted you to know that your recipe is being featured on Foodie Friday today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks AMAZING! I simply must try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You pie looks delicious, Suzanne!! Is it similar to chess pie? My friend used to make that and it was simple, humble, and delicious.

    Thanks for joining in the fun at Project Inspire{d}!! Hope your weekend is Extraordinary!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought blackberries and I have buttermilk in my fridge. This looks so yummy! You make the best things. Always cooking up something delish! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:06 AM

    Sounds and looks delicious, I love baking with vanilla bean. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzanne, your pie looks amazing - just like what Grandma used to make - I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yum! What a fantastic combo!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy Yummy--I want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have an old buttermilk pie recipe that I haven't made in ever so long. Thanks for reminding me how great this dessert is!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very informative article. Thank you. Hair extensions are a demand of the day and ladies love to use hair extensions in almost every occasion either it is party or get together. To keep them new and secure, hair extension demand quality assured packaging. Therefore, the customize boxes manufactures Custom Hair Extension Packaging at discounted prices with free shipping and design services.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...