Friday, January 16, 2015

dutch baby . . . an oven-baked pancake



Dutch baby . . . an oven-baked pancake!

Have you ever had one?

They're quite impressive with their sides that inflate into billowing PILLOWS while baking in the oven . . . and then slowly deflate after taking it out, its tender (bread pudding like) texture, and simple flavor.



GORGEOUS!




Ina Garten prepared a very similar oven-baked pancake, which she called Tri-berry Oven Pancakes, in one of her episodes called "Cooking with Friends" that originally aired in 2012.

She made four individual ones in small gratin dishes, and then topped them with strawberries, blackberries and blueberries. I loved the idea of making them when I saw the show, but I never got around to making them myself.




And then my sister-in-law made "Dutch Babies" for us during our Winter break a few weeks ago, and I loved them!

They're incredibly easy to prepare. Ridiculously easy, in fact. And their tender flavor makes them a perfect canvas for fresh fruit, powder sugar, and maple syrup . . . or savory sides, like herbed scrambled eggs and grilled sausage and onions.





Although I recommend baking your Dutch Baby in a cast iron skillet, you can also bake it in an 8- or 9-inch glass dish. 

I've baked them in both, and prefer a cast iron skillet, as its PUFFS are more dramatic, yields a better crust, and it cooks faster, too

I'm planning on baking several of them for our youngest daughter's 4th birthday BRUNCH next month. I can't wait to share this baked treasure with our family and friends!



  




dutch baby
oven-baked pancakes
.     .     .     .     .     .
3 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
 ¼ cup butter, salted
.     .     .     .     .     .

Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°.

Whisk eggs, milk, flour, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.

Melt butter in a 10” skillet, preferably cast iron, in the oven.

Carefully pour pancake mixture over melted butter. Return pan to oven. 

Bake until pancake is puffed and golden brown around the edges and center is set but still custardy, 12–15 minutes.

Slice and serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and/or fresh fruit . . . or a savory side dish. Enjoy!

**If baking in a glass dish, add 3-5 minutes to baking time.




another oven-baked pancake recipe




LET'S STAY in touch!





Sharing with . . . .

Stephanie Lynn, It's Overflowing, Twelve O Eight, Carrie This Home, Baking in Pajamas, Huckleberry Love, Dwellings, Smart Party Planning,  The Dedicated HouseMod Vintage LifeLori's Culinary Creations, Home Stories, StoneGableAn Extraordinary Day, I'm Not a Trophy Wife, Between Naps on the Front Porch, Rustic Refined,  Tumbleweed ContessaA Stroll Thru Life,Life With GarnishElizabeth & Co,  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern StyleThe Recipe CriticJanine HuldieCarolyn's Homework,  Fluster Buster   Designs by Miss Mandee,  Craftie Allie,  Wednesday morning The Blissful Bee,  The Newlywed Pilgrimage Chic California, Lamberts LatelyLive Laugh RoweSweet Bella Roos, The Charm of Home, From My Front Porch to ours, Delightsome Life.Posed PerfectionKatherine's CornerNancherrowThe Freshman Cook,  Jann OlsonHome  Maid SimpleAnderson + Grant,  Rooted in ThymeEveryday Enchanted Home, Pure Grace Farms A Dish of Daily Life, Bacon Time, Sunflower Supper Club, Tater Tots and Jello,  Cooking with CurlsMade from PinterestSimply Gloria





20 comments:

  1. These sound yummy, especially topped with fruit. I actually have all the ingredients too. :) I'm sure they'll be a hit at the birthday brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your oven baked pancake looks amazing! I have made something similar, but it's been years. Seeing your tasty treat has made my mouth water :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for a Saturday Morning! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so delicious!!! Copied the recipe to make for the granddaughters on there next sleepover. We've been needing to change up our breakfast routine...they'll enjoy helping out with these. Popped over from Rooted In Thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of these but haven't, til now, seen a recipe. Thanks! I like the idea of serving them either sweet or savory.
    Visiting from Charm of Home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of these. Can't wait to try making one! Reminds me a little of German Pancakes. Pinned. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to make these for us. They were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty. Funny that food can be pretty but these photos are just the best! Yummy too, I am sure. Guess what? Our guests at Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop on Ducks 'n a Row thought so, too. Your recipe was one of the most viewed at last week's party. You are featured this week! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these.....I posted one not long after starting my blog where you bake the fruit right inside of it. They are so yummy for breakfast, brunch or dinner! I'll have to give yours a try with the powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I can't say I have ever tried them, but they look pretty delish. I think I shall add them to my 'bake list'.

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy! I had an apple pancake at a breakfast once that reminds me of this and loved it. I shall try this- as the word "easy" is my style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE Dutch baby pancakes. I like them best served with powdered sugar and lemon. What lucky kids at that birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Suzanne... your pancake looks amazing!! I would never have thought add savory additions to it. What a great idea! I'm pinning and sharing! And... putting it on my list. First I have to get an iron skillet. I cannot believe that I sold several at a garage sale. My aunt gave me hers... unfortunately I didn't appreciate them until too late. :(
    As always... we are so blessed to have you share your treats with us at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are a favorite. Well worth the effort. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love these and your pictures are gorgeous. Over from Ducks in a Row.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:44 AM

    Suzanne, that looks delicious! It reminds of British dish called toad in the hole. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping by from "A stroll Thru Life's" blog hop. Dutch Babies are a family favorite, and when I used to teach this one one of the first recipes my students made. As a matter of fact, years ago a student submitted this recipe to Sunset Magazine and was featured in their magazine. Your photos are amazing - better than the professional ones they took for the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a sweet version of toad in the hole! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing

    Read More Information : crepes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Great article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...