Thursday, March 28, 2013

carrot cake cupcakes!

Grandmas know what they're doing when it comes to cooking and baking!

It could be because I adored my grandma, but I remember loving everything she served us (except liver pâté . . . sorry, grandma.

Looking back lovingly, I'm sure my grandma's food taste so good because she didn't spare butter, or other flavor enhancing bases . . . like most grandmas (big smile!). She cooked and baked with LOVE and everything in her kitchen cupboard!





So when I came across Paula Deen's Grandma Hier's Carrot Cake recipe, and read the ingredients, I thought "Now that Grandma knew how to bake a Carrot Cake!" 

And after making Grandma Hier's Carrot Cake (and enhancing it slightly, with more spices) . . . I was right! It was moist, flavorful, and delicious! And the cream cheese frosting is creamy, tangy, and has just the right amount of sweet

Like most old-fashioned recipes, this one's easy to prepare . . . and I'm sure you'll find that most of the ingredients are already in your fridge and cupboard, especially if you're a baker. 


Treat yourself and your family & friends 
to an old-fashioned Carrot Cake! 




Here's what you'll need . . .

Butter, for pans
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups FINELY grated carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional)

Frosting
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans; Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger,  cloves, and salt. Add eggs and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, blend until combined. Add carrots and pecans, if using.
Pour into pans. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, place on waxed paper and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Cupcakes: Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes


For the frosting
Add all ingredients, except nuts, into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer. Stir in the nuts, if using. Spread frosting on top of each cake layer. Stack the cakes on a serving plate and serve.







17 comments:

  1. A+ for presentation. These look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms Lemon!
      And yes, they taste as yummy as they look!
      I hope you give the recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.
      Suzanne

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful cupcakes. Carrot one of my favorite cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up with Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nom nom nom I love carrot cake and to have it in cupcake form.....heaven!! Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Suzanne! Your cupcakes are being featured in the next Snickerdoodle Sunday! Congrats!

      Delete
  5. I love-love-love carrot cake with cream cheese icing! Thanks so much for inspiring me to make some this Easter!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look so pretty! love the little carrots on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely adorable! I love carrot cake so I can't wait to try these! I've pinned your recipe to my Holiday Recipes group board.

    Stopping by from the Live Laugh Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look delicious! I love carrot cake. I'm featuring your cupcakes at this Friday's Features from Inspire Me Monday. Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope my cupcakes turn out to be as pretty as yours. I'm not so good with doing attractive icing, but I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing and great for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a perfect little cupcake! Perfect for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:32 PM

    They look yummy, I could dip my finger into the icing right now then eat the whole thing! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Happy Easter, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love carrot cake and have not made one in quite some time. Yum, must do it soon! Thanks for sharing your recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...