Thursday, May 14, 2015

rosette vanilla bean sugar cookies



My little ones gave their teachers these sweet ROSE cookies during Teacher Appreciation Week.

Students were invited to bring teachers flowers last Thursday, but I thought it would be more fun (and original) if our kids brought their teachers EDIBLE flowers . . . as in these ROSEtte cookies.




I wanted a sugar cookie that was extra special, so I added vanilla beans to the dough. I think the specks are beautiful . . . and the extra vanilla more aromatic.

For the base shape, I used a 3.5-inch circle cookie cutter, and then frosted it with a light, fluffy, and not-too-sweet dusty ROSE-colored butter-cream frosting using a large Wilton STAR decorating tip (1M).

I had an incredibly busy week with special orders, so I wasn't able to take step-by-step photos to share with you today; but since sharing these cookies on the blog - I've had many requests for them. So I'm sure that step-by-step photos will soon follow. Until then, Wilton provides a simple pictorial on how to pipe a rosette, here; including a list of the TOOLS that you'll need.

TOOLS I used . . .
Wilton window cake box and pretty ribbon, for gifting

I've been experimenting with various piping techniques . . . and am having so much fun! Come by and see these adorable soccer themed cookies I made earlier in the week for a 7-year-old's birthday, here

I hope this post inspires you to make a bouquet of rosette cookies! 





vanilla bean sugar cookies
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     . 
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons (1 ½  sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
 powder sugar (instead of flour) for rolling out dough
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .    

Preparation
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt . . . set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla seeds on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. 

Beat in the vanilla extract and egg. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Mix until just combined.

Form the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or as long as overnight.

Preheat an oven to 350°F.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 

On a lightly dusted powder sugar surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. 

Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart, and bake until just golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies. 

Transfer the pans to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cookies from the pans and let cool completely.






old-fashioned "cooked" frosting
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     . 
5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     . 
Pour flour and milk into a saucepan.
Whisk over medium heat until the mixture is very thick.
Remove from heat and let cool completely. 
Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
Cover top with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from developing on the top.


In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar, and beat another 3 minutes.
Scrape down the bowl once or twice to make sure that it's mixed well.
Add the completely cooled flour/milk/vanilla mixture.
Whip it on medium-high until the mixture resembles whipped cream.





a few more home-made gift ideas . . .

vanilla sugar


orange tarragon syrup
 




LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .




Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!







23 comments:

  1. These are the pretties sugar cookies ever - they would be perfect for a wedding shower or little girls tea party. I just love the beauty, they remind me of roses. -Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with your mad piping skills. I cannot pipe worth a darn. It always ends up a big ugly mess and then I just take a knife and spread it around. Your cookies are so stinking cute, they would be great for a bridal shower, tea party, or birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm Suzanne, I think you have real trouble on your hands. You see, think there will be teachers fighting to get your kids in their classes. After all the story of what kind of treats you give will be legendary. Can't you just picture these refined teachers getting all up in arms about the goodies they can get. I mean, who wouldn't want these special treats?? The cookies are so adorable and you did an excellent job of piping!! Now I have a very serious question -- did you worry your camera and lens would get all sticky and such?? When I do icing I think I even get it in my hair :-(. I think I'm going to try to make something in baseball or Lacrosse for the grandsons. Heck! I don't have any granddaughters I might just make them flowers anyway. Have a beautiful weekend. I'm looking forward to you tutorial pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so pretty! I love the little leaf (mint?) addition too! How fun that you can share something homemade, handcrafted, and so special with your teachers! Hope you are having a great weekend Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would certainly put a smile on my face if I was to receive this. So so pretty!!

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to pin your gorgeous cookies, but for some reason I could not. I will have to commit them to memory so I know where to go to find them. A great place to practice my piping skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering and I just have to have one of these! They are the perfect teachers gift and that's great that you are getting orders! :-) I am definitely going to check out Wiltons tutorial! Suzanne, it's always a pleasure seeing what you are going to create next! Hope that you are great!
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look soooo good and look even more beautiful! Wow I can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so beautiful. I was hoping there'd be a post when I saw the photo on your sidebar. They're absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, what a lovely gift. I'm wondering how you package them? I always struggle to know the best way to get a present like this to the recipient without them squishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia!
      Wilton's makes a great line of window boxes in all shapes and sizes. These are what I use when I package cookies, cupcakes, and cakes. I finish the boxes off with pretty ribbon . . . and I'm done :0)
      You can see more the Wilton box collection here . . .
      http://www.michaels.com/wilton-window-cake-box/M10359757.html
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  11. Well these just might be the prettiest cookies ever Suzanne! And they look melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious looking...and I'm sure they taste fabulous! Love how you iced the rose swirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty and sure to be delish too. Your talents are always such an inspiration xo P.S> I hope you will be sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are absolutely gorgeous and look so delicious! Sugar cookies are one of my favorites. Wish I had one right now! lol! I'm sure the teachers loved them. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just lovely! Almost too pretty to eat. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!! I love the way you decorated these--so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect for a garden party. I'm going to make these, but top it with a splash of rose sugar... Because it seems like it'd work so well and I have no idea how I'd use it otherwise. LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This cookie looks delicious!!! The recipe sounds so simple too! I'm featuring this great recipe and teacher gift idea at the Talented Tuesday party tomorrow. Hope you stop by to link up again this week!
    Lindi @ www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely, elegant cookie. Visiting from Moonlight & Mason Jars Link Party. Pinning for later! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These cookies are just too pretty to eat! I love them! Thank you for sharing! Stopping by from the Share Your Creativity link party! Have a great week!
    Kate | TheOrganizedDream.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look lovely and delicious! I'd love for you to share them at our weekly link party. Hope to see you there! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2015/06/four-peanut-butter-desserts-and-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Suzanne - I am wondering if the cookies can be made ahead of time and frozen without compromising the flavor and quality of the cookie? I am thinking of making a large quantity for an event and want to make the cookie ahead of time and then just frost prior to the event. Let me know if you've tried that with this sugar cookie. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...