Monday, August 10, 2015

angel lush cakes



The Littles and I try to venture North to my mom's house at least once a week throughout the Summer months to spend extended time with her. I don't get to visit as often when our little ones are in school, so I seize the lazy days of Summer to spend extra time with her.

During one of my visits she surprised me with two cookbooks.

They weren't just any ol' cookbooks though . . . they were hers!




I remember one of them from my growing up years . . . and the other was one that was given to her by her family and friends as a wedding gift. They filled it with their favorite recipes; and over the years, my mom has added her favorite recipes, too . . . and now I have them! I'm pretty sure I heard my heart sing that day!

We spent upwards of 4 hours combing through the cookbooks and loose-leaf recipe cards and papers . . . It was so much fun!

It's a treasure to have so many of my maternal grandma and great-grandma's recipes . . . and the best part is that so many of them are written in their own hand-writing!




We also found recipes from my dad's Kansas family, most of which were from his sisters. These also mean a lot to me because our family spent Summers in Kansas every year . . . so I have fond memories of all my aunts and cousins great home-cooking!

The recipe that I'm sharing with you today is one that my dad's family shared with my mom more than a decade ago, as Angel Food was my dad's favorite cake. It's fun to have a pretty and delicious twist on one of his favorites.

Although the real Angel Lush recipe calls for angel food cake, I thought I would bake a white vanilla cake instead. (I'm more of a cake gal!)




It's ridiculous how easy this cake is to prepare and assemble! And if you buy an Angel Food from your local bakery or market, then it'll be that much faster to put together.

The light and fluffy vanilla and pineapple pudding filling is delicious! The vanilla pudding 'warms up' the pineapple juices giving it a more tender sweetness, and the fresh berries brighten up the whole cake. YUM!

Since my from-scratch white cake recipe yield a crumb that's too tender for this kind of cake, I used a moist vanilla cake mix, and then added and an extra teaspoon of vanilla to the batter. And voila, you have my version of an Angel Lush Cake!





This beautiful cake can also be made into mini cakes and cupcakes . . . and topped with a single berry or combination of fresh berries. I chose strawberries because they're absolutely gorgeous and ripe this time of year!




I will be making Angel Lush Cupcakes for my mom's Annual End-of-Summer Family Gathering this weekend. I'll post a photo on Facebook or Instagram so that you can see how darling they are!




I hope I've inspired you to whip up one more Summer-inspired dessert before this beautiful season ends!




angel lush cakes
.     .     .     .     .
1 20-ounce can CRUSHED pineapple, undrained
1 3.4-ounce package instant vanilla pudding   
1 8-ounce package Cool Whip whipped topping
1 10-ounce package round angel food cake, cut into 3 (or 4 layers)
fresh seasonal berries
.     .     .     .     .

Preparation
Mix pineapple and dry pudding mix in medium bowl. Gently stir in whipped topping.

Stack cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers and on top of cake.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve. Garnish with your favorite seasonal berries.

Enjoy!



 



LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!










30 comments:

  1. Ooooh, it sounds so refreshing! And what a treat to come home with family recipes. I know how much they'll be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake is absolutely gorgeous and I was so moved by your mom's wonderful gift it brought tears to my eyes. What a treasure!! My heavens history is in that cookbook. I am looking forward to your many family recipes and your photos. Thank you so much for sharing. XXXOOO and have a wonderful day. Psst!! I took a small swipe from that icing -- couldn't help myself but I got a spatula out and smoothed it over -- no one will ever know :-) It IS delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes look amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! I'm in the middle of a "whole-30" eating plan, which allows no carbs. This is like torture looking at your wonderful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks Yummy!!!! AND I can make it sugar free for my sweet hubster!
    Thank you so much!!
    Have a good weekend and blessings to you!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:30 PM

    What a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, it certainly does look lush. It looks like it would melt in the mouth...which means you would have to go back for more....lol

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this a long time ago. It really is delicious and yours is much more beautiful than mine. A great party cake.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful cake! It looks so light and fluffy! I just want a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cakes look awesome! I love the image of the stacked big one and the small one next to it. Thanks for the recipe. I'm pinning.
    Have a nice week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cakes are very pretty and always presented so elegantly. Receiving the cookbooks from your mom are treasures you will cherish always, how great is that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Suzanne, this cake looks so so good!!! How sweet to have your moms cookbooks too! I am definitely pinning your cake recipe for the future:). I appreciate so much that you shared this at Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. Take care, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful cake and thank you so much for sharing your family recipe! I do have a question about the recipe. Your picture shows 4 layers and the recipe says to cut the cake into 3 layers. Did you make 2 batches or can the recipe cake be cut into 4 layers? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen!
      Angel Lush Cakes are traditionally made with angel food cake; and since angel food cake isn't very tall, I recommend that it be cut into 3 layers.
      Since I like traditional cake better, I bake two 6-inch rounds and then slice them horizontally - making 4 layers.
      I hope that helps! And I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!

      Delete
  14. This looks INSANELY delicious! I'm obsessed with pineapple, but have never put it in cake before so I think I might give this a try before fall sneaks up on us too soon! :) Thanks for sharing your recipe! I saw it on the Simple Pantry's link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't believe I've ever commented on a food post anywhere but I was so impressed with your beautiful 4-layer cake that I just had to pop over and tell you. The recipe sounds wonderful too! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
  16. these look so pretty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks absolutely AMAZING!! I want some right now :)
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  18. How gorgeous is this!! Such a pretty sight! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous cake, almost too pretty to eat, but I'd happily have a slice right now! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so fantastic Suzanne! Thanks for sharing them with us at the last Create & Share party!! I selected this post as one of my favorites this week, and just found out that it was also the "most clicked" (bonus). Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see what you share with us this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply divine Suzanne! Wish I was your neighbor so I could pop over and taste your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, wow, how beautiful! This cake looks absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    Interestingly, my mom was from Kansas, and some of my favorite childhood memories are from spending summers there!

    Thanks for joining Grace at Home--I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will feature this today at Home Sweet Home!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will feature this today at Home Sweet Home!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm wild about this delectable dessert. Looks so inviting and tasty. I chose it as my personal favorite at this week's Weekend Potluck party. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Enjoy a great holiday weekend.
    http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2015/09/crockpot-applesauce-no-sugar-added.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful story and presentation! I too love old recipes and cookbooks. There is just something very comforting about touching old family recipes! Blessings to you for this lovely post, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks amazing. I love these kinds of recipes and that you are carrying on your family's cooking legacy! :) I treasure my grandma's recipes too. Pinning this and hoping to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous8:06 PM

    I am pinning this, because these are so beautiful and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous5:45 PM

    What box cake did you use?? Looks so so delish!!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...