Friday, October 14, 2016

orange spiced crumb cake . . . a new Fall favorite

 

I'm really excited to share this recipe with you!

I discovered it last Fall while watching Brunch @ Bobby's, one of my favorite shows on Food Network.   If you know me well, or if you've followed me for very long, then you know that my favorite time of day to entertain is brunch.




I'm always looking for new recipes to add to my brunch menus . . . and this recipe for orange spiced crumb cake will be a new staple for my Fall and Winter menus.

It's moist . . . flavorful . . . and has a tender crumb. And oh! the streusel topping . . . it's perfection, too! And there's a lot of it. I think the ratio might be 50% cake / 50% streusel . . . oh my!

What makes this crumb cake a perfect recipe for any Fall gathering is the addition of cardamom and orange . . . a combination made in heaven.  And because it's baked in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, it yields enough to serve a crowd.

I noticed that it tastes even better on the second and third day. I'm sure it's even better on the fourth day, but I wouldn't know because it's always gone before that.

It's also a great recipe to bake the day before hosting a gathering, since the flavors intensify with every passing day.  You can spend the extra time you'll have the day of your gathering with your family and friends, instead of in the kitchen (smile).


My crew gobbled up the first batch within 48 hours!

It was so good that I quickly baked another batch to share with our Littles' teachers. I cut big 5 x 5-inch squares, wrapped them in cellophane sheets, and then tied them with big burnt orange-colored bows. Our youngest daughter's teacher told her that it was her favorite treat yet!


I keep oranges in our fridge these days, just so that I can make this crumb cake at a moments notice!

We have guests coming from out-of-state to stay with us soon (I'm so excited!), and I think a beautiful platter piled high with orange spiced crumb cake will surely be on our breakfast table . . . along with my favorite strata with spicy Italian sausage, Gruyere, spinach, and shallots

Fall entertaining can't get much easier than this! Enjoy, friends!


Crumb Topping 
1 1/2 cups pecans, optional 
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted 
3/4 cup light brown sugar 
1/2 cup pure cane granulated sugar 
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt 
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
.     .     .     .     .     .     . 

  

Cake 
1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing 
3 cups all-purpose flour 
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup whole milk 
1/4 cup canola oil 
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
2 large eggs 
.     .     .     .     .     . 

Glaze 
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar 
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 
2 teaspoons orange juice 
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest 
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract  
.     .     .     .     .     .     .

Preparation
For the crumb topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Spread the pecans in an even layer onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring once, until lightly golden brown and just fragrant, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack and let cool slightly before coarsely chopping.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over high heat until it begins to turn light golden brown. 
Whisk in both of the sugars and cook until smooth. 
Take the pot off the heat and add the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and mix until clumps begin to form. Refrigerate the crumb mixture for 15 minutes.

For the cake

Heavily butter a 9- by 13-inch baking pan. 
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. 
Whisk together the melted butter, milk, canola oil, orange zest, vanilla and eggs. 
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. 
Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing out the surface. 
Scatter the crumbs in large clumps over the cake; the crumb layer should be quite deep.
Bake until the crumbs are golden and firm and a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 55 minutes. 

Transfer to a rack to cool.

For the glaze 

Whisk together the sugar, butter, juice, zest and vanilla.
Once the cake is cool, drizzle the glaze over it and cut into 9 pieces. 

Serve on a platter.
recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!








6 comments:

  1. Your photos are just heavenly to look at, Suzanne! I have never baked with cardamom before, but I guess I will be buying some because this is the second recipe this week I have printed out to try that contains it. This looks absolutely scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you when it comes to brunch and entertaining. I love the choice of dishes! Your crumb cake sounds fantastic and your photos are gorgeous. Hope you're having a nice weekend! Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this does look scrumptious! Thanks for the recipe. My mouth is watering! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I record every episode of Brunch at Bobby's but haven't made any of his recipes yet. This is one I was very curious about thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must Visit this Website they have awesome content for readers.
    https://allinonewebcopy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...