Friday, January 13, 2017

chocolate fridge cake


Happy New Year!

I hope this new post finds that each and every one of you had a beautiful holiday with your friends and family.

We spent our Christmas - here - in Virginia. This was my first time - ever - not spending the holidays with my mom, oldest son, and siblings/niece/nephews. I missed them terribly.  I did my very best to continue the many treasured traditions we've carried on over the years. I truly love traditions. They bring a special happiness . . . familiarity . . . and comfort. Being far away from home makes our family's traditions even more important than ever.


Even fairly new traditions can bring comfort. I started making Chocolate Fridge Cake almost 5 years ago. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions.

A friend of our family gifted our oldest daughter, Charley, her first cookbook, apron, and rolling pin when she was almost 4 years old. It's filled with fun and simple recipes, color photos, and step-by-step instructions.


I wasn't too surprised when she saw the page with chocolate fridge cake and asked me if we could make it. I happened to have all the ingredients, but opted to switch out the dried apricots, almonds, and raisins with Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe Joe's.  Great decision, by the way!

I had never heard of Chocolate Fridge Cake before . . . and had no idea what it was going to taste like.

Honestly, it's hard to describe, but friends - - - it's crazy good!  So simple to prepare . . . and so good!


I love its versatility. The only limit when it comes to flavorings is your imagination, or what you happen to have in your cupboard.

You can pick and mix the fillings to suit your taste. I do recommend using graham crackers as the base "biscuit" of choice.  Your fillings can range from not-to-sweet dried fruits, raisins, and nuts; or our favorite, Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe Joe's or Mint Oreos.  The fillings should add up to approximately 2 cups.


Ok, so let's talk chocolate . . . It's the most important element of a chocolate fridge cake. This is where you splurge on good, high-quality chocolate. Resist using plain chocolate, which gives a rather bitter character. I recommend a mix of milk and semi-sweet for the perfect balance of sweet and chocolaty.



You can pour the warm mixture into an 8-inch square pan, muffin tins, or a bread pan to set. I prefer a bread pan so that I can cut tall, pretty slices to share with friends and family.

I think a dusting of cocoa powder over the top is quite pretty, too!

Although I typically make chocolate fridge cake primarily in December and January, I think it would be amazing any of time year, especially during the Summer months when it's too hot to turn the oven on - and you're craving something sweet, or needing a quick dessert.

Enjoy!


chocolate fridge cake
.     .     .     .    .     .
5 ounces milk chocolate
5 ounces semi sweet chocolate
1/2 cup light or golden corn syrup
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces graham crackers
2 cups mint Oreo's, chopped into small pieces
cocoa powder, garnish
.     .     .     .    .     .
Use plastic wrap to line an 8-inch square pan. Leave extra plastic wrap hanging over the sides.

Break the crackers into small pieces with a rolling pin. 

Using a knife, cut the Oreo's into smaller pieces.

Melt chocolate, butter, and syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. 
The bowl should not touch the water. Stir occasionally. 

Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the broken crackers and cookies. 

Spoon the mixture into the pan. 
Level the surface by pressing it down with your hands, or the bottom of a glass. 

Allow it to cool, then put the chocolate mixture in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to set.

Turn out the cake and peel off the plastic wrap. 
Dust with cocoa powder. Cut the cake into 12 squares and enjoy!




LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!






3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, Suzanne! I love the idea and cooking with your kids is such a wonderful experience. Your children are lucky to have such an extraordinary mom :-) I'm sorry you weren't able to have all of your loved ones there for the holidays but it's not forever, is it? Sending you big hugs!! And I"m pinning the recipe to make when we get home. Love, Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can wait to make it! Especially since it looks so easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes, girlfriend! That sounds... well, there are no words. I will be making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...