Thursday, August 2, 2012

strawberries, cream, and meringue cookies



Mmmmm . . . mmmm . . . mmmm! 

That's what you and your guests will be saying while enjoying this light and unique dessert!  
   
This recipe was inspired by a surprise visit from an out-of-town friend. Since I didn't have  time to "plan" a dessert, I had to turn to my pantry. I'm learning that sometimes my best recipes come from no recipe at all, just creativity and cupboard staples.  

For me, whipping cream, sour cream, and berries (or fruit, of some kind) are just a few staples that can be found in my fridge. And because my husband has a major sweet tooth, I typically have treats hidden in my cupboards, or prettily displayed on my counter, somewhere.  

So with little effort, this heavenly dessert was created.  
  
It's a pleasant combination of ripe red berries . . . sweet, crunchy vanilla meringues that simply melt in your mouth . . . and slightly tangy whipped cream. The flavor and texture combination is quite pleasing to the palate. I can't wait for you to try this sweet treat!  
  
Oh! I recently saw a similar dessert to this one on television, but with sweet peaches. Mmmmmm . . . . mmmmm!  Add a pinch of cinnamon to the whipped cream, and you might have perfection (smile)!  

  
Ingredients
2 small baskets of strawberries, hulled and cut in half
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 scant cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon confectioners sugar
Eight 2-inch vanilla meringue cookies, coarsely broken (about 2 cups), plus 2 more, halved 
*I buy the cookies from Trader Joe's. Most bakeries sell them.

  

Directions
In a medium bowl, using a potato masher or fork, mash the berries and any juices into a chunky sauce. 
Place the sour cream in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough chilled heavy cream to fill the cup completely. Scrape the cream mixture into a deep medium bowl. Add the confectioners sugar. Beat the mixture until thick and stiff with a handheld electric mixer. Fold in the broken meringues.
Divide the sauce in half and spoon into the bottom of four serving bowls or glasses. 
Divide the cream mixture in half and spoon on top of the sauce. Repeat the layers using the remaining sauce and cream mixture. Top each parfait with a meringue half and serve immediately.  



Bon Appetit!





2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This was just the idea I was looking for! I just discovered your blog moments ago, and it looks amazing. Do you ever format recipes for easy printing? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to the above. Thanks for all the recipes but it would be so great to be able to print them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...