Wednesday, July 9, 2014

strawberries & cream scones



It's no secret, I love scones!

I've shared many combinations over the years on this blog, my favorite one being the orange and cranberry scone . . . but I must say that this one is also quite delightful.




I've had thoughts of making strawberry scones over the years, but struggled with how they would turn out using fresh strawberries. 

Given that fresh strawberries contain a lot of moisture (at least the wonderfully sweet ones do), my concern was how it would affect the dough while baking. Would the added moisture create a 'soggy' scone and a barely noticeable strawberry flavor?




And so began my quest to figure out how to add real strawberries to scones without compromising the perfectly tender and light texture of the bread.




Well, I found my answer (on accident!) while browsing in the dried fruits and nut aisle at my local Trader Joe's a few weeks ago.  

              Freeze dried strawberries!

They're the real thing, only freeze dried. What that means is that the moisture that I was concerned about is gone. So you're left with the total sweetness of a strawberry without the added 'water.' 

And I must say, these little freeze dried strawberries have a concentrated sweetness and scent that is quite intoxicating. They're so much fun to just munch on, too. 




I was so excited to bring them home and try them out in my favorite sour cream scone recipe. 

                     . . . And they were even better than I had hoped they would be! 

I added white chocolate chips to the dough for a 'creamy' factor, giving them the flavor of 'strawberries & cream.'




I served my strawberries & cream scones alongside a big bowl of fresh whipped cream & fresh strawberries from our little garden. What a pleasant Summer treat!





strawberries & cream scones
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons COLD butter, cubed
1 cup cold sour cream
1 egg yolk
2 cups white chocolate chips
2 cups dried strawberries, roughly chopped
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar in the raw
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the cubed COLD butter until a coarse meal forms. Pulse in the sour cream and egg yolk until just combined. Add white chocolate chips and dried strawberries until just combined.

Turn the sticky dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough comes together into a ball. 

Gently pat the dough down into a 3/4 inch thick square shape. 

Using a fluted cookie cutter, cut out shapes. 

Transfer onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the tops of each scone with heavy cream and sprinkle it with some sugar in the raw. This will create a shiny and crunchy top for the scones.

Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes until the bottoms of the scones are light brown.

Remove from oven, cool slightly on the sheet pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


 






LET'S STAY in touch!







19 comments:

  1. Okay, seriously, how good do these sound!?!? Must make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so good! The freeze dried strawberries were a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say to these is....yum yum yum!!!! I love scones too...I am always on the look out for a Cream Tea :-) Scones with strawberries in them....total winner!

    Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, these sound absolutely delicious! I don't think I've ever seen freeze dried strawberries but will look for them the next time I'm at Trader Joe's. Also, you take the BEST photos!! Your blog posts are treats in themselves!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fabulous! What a great idea to use freeze-dried strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, those scones look scrumptious! Baking with fresh strawberries is tough, I love this idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG those look and sound so YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good and next time you make up a batch, please give me a call for taste testing. lol. Thank you for linking up at Wonderful Wed Blog Hop. Carrie, A Mother's Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always heard scones were a bit difficult to make...but you make it sound easy peesy! I am going to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness they look and sound absolutely delicious!

    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:02 PM

    I love strawberries and cream, these scones look lovely. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. These look awesome. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too...YUM, YUM, YUM!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! I am in trouble!!! LOL They sound sooo good. Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays at Our Home! Have a great week! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should have been born in England that is how much I love scones. These strawberry scones look amazing.

    I am going to feature them tonight on my Facebook page.

    Blessings,
    Diane Roark

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! Such a summery take on scones! Thanks for sharing!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Suzanne, your recipe looks marvelous - fabulous pictures - I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found you at Home and Garden Thursday. I'm pinning your recipe to try. I love scones and using dried strawberries is a stroke of genius. Thanks for sharing. ~ Nancy @ A Joyful Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...