Tuesday, December 1, 2015

our Thanksgiving and a grateful heart

 

"The greatest wealth is health." Virgil

While preparing for Thanksgiving this year I spent much time reflecting on the last year and my blessings. It was poetically therapeutic, and seemed to ease the stress of all the work and effort that goes into hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner.




It was only 6 short months ago that I was diagnosed with high insulin resistance. My health was at its lowest. I had been struggling with headaches and extremely low energy for two years; and with each passing month - my symptoms worsened.

It was on a "hunch" that my doctor ordered a blood test to check my blood sugar and insulin. For me, it was more than a "hunch." After months and months of steadfast prayers, God's tender voice whispered in my doctor's ear . . . and she listened.

The blood tests revealed so much of what was ailing my health. Since receiving the diagnosis in July, working 1:1 with a Nutritionist, and staying 100% committed to a strict diet . . . I've felt the incredible wealth of good health.

Although I am a work in progress, I feel leaps and bounds healthier than I have in last two (plus) years . . . and I am so grateful. My journey has been humbling, to say the least. 




While reflecting on the latter part of my year, I've felt overwhelming gratitude for my amazing mom and loving husband. For without their unwavering support and loving care, this journey towards stronger health would've been more difficult. My sweet mom still calls me daily to see how I'm feeling; and together, we recognize and express gratitude for our Heavenly Father's hand in this journey, too.




I remember expressing concern to my mom several months ago that I might not feel well enough to host Thanksgiving Dinner. Just the thought of it broke my heart. You see, I LOVE hosting Thanksgiving.

It is an incredible honor to prepare such a feast and table for my family and friends. To me, it is a gift . . . an act of pure love.







I hope you remember(ed) to take the time to count your blessings, however big - or small - they might be. "For gratitude makes everything turn into a gift" Fiona Childs.

As we head into a new, beautiful, and meaningful season . . . it is not without an incredibly grateful heart that I smile at the close of a wonderful Thanksgiving spent with those who I love and hold dear.





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .


Thank you for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!










6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling better! Your table looks beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! So glad you are feeling better and able to host your dinner. Take care, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had you mentioned your diagnosis before? I feel like I would remember you talking about the specifics. ???? Glad to hear you've got a game plan. Diet is so important, especially these days. I know we all could do better.
    Your dinner setting and menu are beautiful, and I know were appreciated by your guests. And I need to hear more about that eggnog pie!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy and thankful that you are getting back to a happy, healthy Suzanne. I knew you had alluded a time or two to having a health issue but your posts and photographs never gave any indication. Everything you do is excellent!! I am certainly glad you've got your moral support and I certainly would want to be included in that. Your table and menu shows the love you went into the preparation. I guess we are nurturers. We love to feed and we show our love by making a nice home and filling the tummies with delicious food. I am so very lucky to count you as a very special and sweet friend. I know your Thanksgiving must have been magical. Sending Big HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been on a similar journey that has left me with nerve damage! So I GET IT ,! You are lucky to be coming back in tack! I too have been saved by Gods grace ! I am left with many issues but it could have been a lot worse so I am too so very grateful for the love of my husband of 33 years!! Dad! Family and great friends! God Bless and Merry Christmas , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite posts of yours Suzanne because of the beautiful words and beautiful photos. What a great message-to always be thankful for health. I'm SO glad things are getting better for you!!! I hope they continue that way. I'm so glad you were able to host Thanksgiving, and it looks just perfect! What a gorgeous table and menu. Hope you've had a chance to put your feet up since and relax. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...