Wednesday, February 26, 2014

baked eggs with spicy roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, manchego, and goat cheese



I'm sharing this wonderful recipe with you as a brunch dish; but truth be told, I've made it for Sunday dinner a few times since serving this at our son's birthday brunch a few weeks ago.





I love this dish! It's sweet & savory, slightly spicy (if you choose to add a dash of cayenne or red pepper), and creamy . . . and just delicious! I want to add crumbled spicy Italian sausage to the sweet potato mixture next time for an even heartier & flavorful dish.

I serve it out of the cast iron pan that it's baked in, along with hot buttermilk biscuits right out of the oven. Yum! It looks so rustic and home-made . . . and reminds me of something that my dad would have loved.




While creating the menu for our son's birthday brunch, I came across this baked egg recipe. Cristina's photos are so appealing that I was sold on the dish right away. It also fits my brunch menu criteria . . . easy-to-prepare and delicious.

I'm not a fan of being tied up in the kitchen cooking and baking while guests arrive. I love greeting our family and friends with a big hug when they come into our home. That's why I have an arsenal of brunch recipes that can be prepared and assembled beforehand . . . so that I can just pop them in the oven for quick baking time. And this is one of those savory dishes.




You'll fall for it, too! The roasted sweet potatoes and caramelized shallots tossed with black beans and then coated with tangy, creamy goat cheese is a delicious combination. Add thin slices of Manchego cheese (a sheep's milk cheese!) for a distinctive creamy flavor . . . and finally, top with fresh cracked eggs . . . BAKE . . . and then enjoy this incredible medley of ingredients and flavors. Even fresh topped tarragon rounds out this dish beautifully . . . leaving you wanting seconds!




Ingredients
 ~ ingredients in this dish are approximate,
if you love a particular ingredient, then add more  ~

1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
Olive oil
Kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper
Cayenne pepper
1 ounce goat cheese
1/2 can of black beans, drained
1/4 cup of diced shallots (or onions)
1/8 lb Manchego, thinly sliced
10-12 large eggs
Tarragon, optional (recommended)




Preparation
Toss the cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bake in a 400°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside and leave the oven on (you'll need it again to bake the eggs).
Meanwhile, in a cast iron skillet, sauté the shallots in olive oil until soft. Add in the black beans and goat cheese and stir until all of the beans are coated and the goat cheese has fully melted.
Add in the roasted sweet potatoes and season with about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Layer the Manchego over the top of the sweet potato and black bean mixture.
Crack the eggs over the top and season with freshly cracked black pepper and another sprinkle of salt.
** Egg yolks cook faster when near the edge of the pan, so be sure and crack them at least 1-inch from the edge.
** Be watchful when baking, as to not over-bake the eggs. It tastes best when the yolks are runny.
Cook for a few minutes on the stove top, until you see the eggs beginning to set around the edges.
Transfer the pan into the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, 10-12 minutes (depending on how firm you want your yolks).  Keep a close eye on them, if you prefer runny yolks.
Also keep in mind that the cast iron gets very hot and the eggs will continue to cook just a tad bit more after coming out of the oven. Garnish with tarragon, then cut into slices and serve.








LET'S STAY in touch!






Sharing with . . . .

Stephanie Lynn, It's Overflowing, Twelve O Eight, Carrie This Home, Baking in Pajamas, Huckleberry Love, Dwellings, Smart Party Planning,  The Dedicated HouseMod Vintage LifeLori's Culinary Creations, Home Stories, StoneGableAn Extraordinary Day, I'm Not a Trophy Wife, Karen's Up on the HillThree Kids and a FishBetween Naps on the Front Porch, Rustic Refined,  Tumbleweed ContessaA Stroll Thru Life,Life With GarnishElizabeth & Co, Home Remedies,  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern StyleThe Recipe CriticJanine HuldieCarolyn's Homework,  Fluster Buster   Designs by Miss Mandee,  Craftie Allie,  Wednesday morning The Blissful Bee,  The Newlywed Pilgrimage Chic California, Lamberts LatelyLive Laugh RoweSweet Bella Roos, The Charm of Home, From My Front Porch to ours, Delightsome Life.Posed PerfectionKatherine's CornerNancherrowThe Freshman Cook,  Jann OlsonHome  Maid SimpleAnderson + Grant,  Rooted in ThymeEveryday Enchanted Home, Pure Grace Farms A Dish of Daily Life, Bacon Time, Sunflower Supper Club, Tater Tots and Jello,  Cooking with Curls


35 comments:

  1. This looks incredible! .....so not on my diet, but wow...I have to try out that kind of cheese. I've never even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna!
      You could always substitute the Manchego for a lighter cheese like Swiss, if you're watching your calories. You'll enjoy this dish . . . It's so good :0)
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna, I meant to write that a reduced-fat swiss is a lighter alternative.
      Happy brunching,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  2. Those eggs look amazing, I have never heard of that cheese but going to look for it when I got to delicatessen as my local supermarket I don't think will have it. I think it would make a fabulous brunch meal. I am definitely going to try it out.

    Are those scones in the other dish? We make scones in New Zealand that look like that but we cook them individually in the oven.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      Thanks so much for coming by!
      So happy to meet another person who enjoys cheese. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but that's where I buy Mangego. It's quite a unique cheese, delicious . . . and brings a unique flavor to this dish.
      Be careful when baking, as to not over-bake the eggs. It tastes best when the yolks are runny.
      I LOVE scones, but what you see in the other cast iron pan is home-made buttermilk biscuits. I haven't posted my recipe for biscuits yet, They're also simple to prepared and have very few ingredients.
      Keep in touch . . . Happy to have you.
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
    2. I was looking for a breakfast casserole recipe and this sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing. FYI Swiss cheese has more calories per ounce than Manchego. Dianne

      Delete
    3. Hi Dianne!
      Thanks so coming by!
      Breakfast casseroles are great too . . . endless possibilities!
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  3. This recipe really sounds so good. I am going to try it the next time I have friends over for brunch. Thanks so much looks and sounds so yummy.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      Thanks for coming by. It's so versatile that you'll find lots of occasions to make this delicious dish.
      Have a great week!
      Happy brunching,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  4. This sounds so interesting that I have to try it! My husband recently told me he wants breakfast for dinner more so this is perfect! Pinned! Visiting from Seasonal Sundays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann Marie!
      We really enjoy it . . . and hope that you and your husband do too!
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  5. I have not had breakfast yet! Oh my! Everything looks so delicious. LOVE LOVE LOVE the egg dish. Manchego cheese is a favorite of mine! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned this. I love sweet potato hash and with beans and cheese would just take it over the top. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll enjoy this dish, Madonna . . . especially the cheese combinations. Yum!
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  7. Oh my, everything looks YUMMY! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Egg yolk is a beautiful thing, is it not? I love your pics. Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds sooooooooo good. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful! I would love it if you would share it at my Tasty Tuesday link party!
    http://www.thecomfortsofhome.blogspot.com/2014/03/tasty-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This egg dish looks simply delicious! We love breakfast for dinner here and will definitely try this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Olivia!
      We love breakfast for dinner too!
      Have a great week,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  12. This looks so yummy! Doing a giveaway this week (posted Monday) and would love if you would stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Get out the cast iron skillet! This looks amazing! I've never made anything like it but I love all of the ingredients so I know I would LOVE it! Thanks girlfriend! Sweet hugs, diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy, does that look yummy! I saw your post on Eat. Create. Link. and had to check it out. I love the photography on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb!
      Hope you come back again!
      Have a great weekend,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  15. My mouth is watering :-) This dish..actually the whole brunch looks amazing! I can not wait to try this! I love the flavor combination and the use of the cast iron!
    Checking this out from the tickled pink link party!
    Cathy
    www.threekidsandafish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Cathy!
      Have a great weekend,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  16. Sounds fantastic... healthy and tasty and easy to make. Thank you for bringing this dish by foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything about this yumminess. Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look wonderful! I found you over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday and just had to stop by and see what was in these eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGosh, I'm truly salivating right now! This sounds incredibly delish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have brunch with you any day of the week, this look SO good! I would never have thought to put eggs and sweet potatoes together so I really appreciate the introduction to the new flavor combination. I think you have a big hit on your hands. Coco

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would come over for brunch :-) this looks so so so amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this at Making Memories Mondays! :-)
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  22. It really does look delicious! So many unique flavors. YUM! Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous12:15 PM

    What a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  24. Boy, does this look tasty! Pinning, pinning, and pinning some more! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...