Wednesday, November 11, 2015

big and chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies and ramblings . . .

 


It feels like it's been weeks since I've sat down and shared a recipe or any 'at home' happenings. 

I've been happily busy the last few weeks with school parties and Halloween. Did you happen to see the photo I shared on my Instagram of the 5-inch pumpkin shaped sugar cookies I baked for Charley and Ford's classes? 

Little Lauren and I baked 54+ sugar cookies! 

I under-estimated the amount of batter and number of hours it would take to complete this baking project, but it was well-worth the energy and time! I had so much fun decorating them with their classmates . . . and Charley and Ford loved sharing one of our family traditions with their friends.
I feel so blessed to be a stay-at-home mom, as well as a Room Mom for Charley and Ford's classes this year!  




My 'TO DO list' is crazy long since returning home from an annual girls trip to Solvang with my mom and sister a few days ago. I managed to unpack, clean the house, and tackle 6 loads of laundry yesterday ((which is a relief!)), knowing that I'm going to have to spend the remainder of the week planning, organizing, and shopping for one of my busiest baking months of the year.

I have an order due for delivery next week that consists of 355+ baked goods, including cookies, muffins, and biscotti. Orders of this size require a crazy amount of planning and organizing to ensure a successful delivery.

I'm really excited to share many of the cookie and biscotti recipes with you over the coming weeks! They would make great additions to any holiday party or cookie exchange. 

Countless hours have been spent in this cozy chair (below) gathering recipes, writing lists, and ordering supplies for the upcoming orders. 





These amazing big and chewy oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies will be a few of many cookie varieties included in 20 gift baskets to be delivered early next week.

The photos in this post are of the ones that I made for my sister's birthday last weekend. We took them on our trip . . . and my mom and sister enjoyed them when they craved something hearty and sweet. The recipe calls for 3 cups of good old-fashioned rolled OATS! 

My sister took a bite of one of them and asked me, "So what is this cookie called? HEAVEN in my mouth!?" I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud. And yes, they're really that good!!

They're another WINNER from Cook's Illustrated. 

What I love about them - besides that the recipe calls for 3 cups of old-fashioned oats (NO quick-cook oats here!) - is that NUTMEG is the spice of choice, instead of cinnamon. It's definitely not your typical oatmeal cookie ingredient, but it's PERFECTION paired with the flavor of the OATS. 

I made them BIG! . . . because that's how I think oatmeal cookies should be. 

These photos are a little deceiving, as they don't show the actual size. I made them using a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop. So they really are  . . . BIG, thick, and chewy! 




I couldn't think of a better way to spend a cozy Fall or Winter evening than with a warm batch of Cook's Illustrated's big and chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies. I hope you enjoy the recipe, too!




thick and chewy 
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
 .     .     .     .    .     .
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups old-fashioned oats *NOT instant or quick-cook oats
1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
 .     .     .     .    .     .

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, beating just until combined. Mix in the oats and chocolate chunks until evenly distributed in the dough.

Divide the dough into 2 tablespoon balls and place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown (the centers will still be pale – don’t over-bake).

Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool a few minutes before removing them to the rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough (be sure to let the baking sheet cool in between batches).

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes about 18 cookies
courtesy Cook's Illustrated






LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .


Thank you for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!









5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are keeping plenty busy! These cookies like the perfect treat to help you power through! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Need a nap just reading of all your endeavors.Glad you have the cozy chair and yummy snacks to get it all done! Am inspired to bake today! Thanks for the yummy recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I love oatmeal cookies and we do not have instant or quick cooking oats in this house -- it is NOT allowed. But let me say that you are one busy lady. Heavens I start feeling a little sorry for myself and now I want to slap myself silly and say : Get over it!! Use your time more wisely. Yep! That's what I need to say to myself. Your photos are beautiful and believe me, I can smell the nutmeg. Sending big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal cookies! And yes, you are a busy gal! How fun to get away, though. I do that with my mom, sister, and aunt every year and it's such a fantastic break. Good luck with all your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne-I've been looking at your vacation pictures on IG, and it looked sooooooo fun! Those cute gingerbread men! Would love to hear all about it sometime :) Thanks for sharing these delicious cookies-I love their size. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...