Monday, November 21, 2016

celebrating Thanksgiving with a Fall brunch . . .

 

Last year marked my 5th year hosting Thanksgiving Dinner in our home. 

I always felt like it was my biggest culinary accomplishment of the year. I lovingly made every single dish from scratch . . . and always felt it was an honor to prepare such an extravagant meal for my family every year. 

I will be far from home, and my extended family and friends, this year. My heart is saddened that I won't be celebrating my favorite holiday with my mom, oldest son and his fiance, extended family, and our dear friends. 

So . . . to lift my spirits, I thought it would be fun to prepare a fun and festive Fall Brunch for my little crew on Thanksgiving morning . . . and then enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant (which I've never done before!). 

For someone like me, it's hard to imagine NOT cooking on Thanksgiving; but because my spirits don't feel up to preparing a traditional meal this year, I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my favorite holiday than by preparing the ultimate Fall brunch for my little crew, and inviting a few new friends to join in on the late morning feast. 

Here's a peak at my Fall brunch menu . . . .

.     .     .     .     .     .     .
baked Pumpkin French Toast 
topped with cinnamon streusel and a cream cheese & maple glaze
.     .     .     .     .     .
Buttermilk Waffles 
with browned butter maple syrup & fresh whipped cream
.     .     .     .     .     .
Farm Fresh Scrambled Eggs
.     .     .     .     .     .
Chili & Brown Sugar Thick-Cut Bacon
.     .     .     .     .     .
Fennel & Sage Sausage
.     .     .     .     .     .
Sweet Potato Hash 
with Caramelized Onions
.     .     .     .     .     .     .

I hope this post finds that you're happily planning your Thanksgiving gatherings. I wish each of you a day filled with all the blessings of this beautiful holiday. 

Happy Thanksgiving! xxx

.     .     .     .     .     .     .
Thanksgiving, 2015

"The greatest wealth is health." Virgil

While preparing for Thanksgiving this year I spent much time reflecting on the last year and my blessings. It was poetically therapeutic, and seemed to ease the stress of all the work and effort that goes into hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner.




It was only 6 short months ago that I was diagnosed with high insulin resistance. My health was at its lowest. I had been struggling with headaches and extremely low energy for two years; and with each passing month - my symptoms worsened.

It was on a "hunch" that my doctor ordered a blood test to check my blood sugar and insulin. For me, it was more than a "hunch." After months and months of steadfast prayers, God's tender voice whispered in my doctor's ear . . . and she listened.

The blood tests revealed so much of what was ailing my health. Since receiving the diagnosis in July, working 1:1 with a Nutritionist, and staying 100% committed to a strict diet . . . I've felt the incredible wealth of good health.

Although I am a work in progress, I feel leaps and bounds healthier than I have in last two (plus) years . . . and I am so grateful. My journey has been humbling, to say the least. 




While reflecting on the latter part of my year, I've felt overwhelming gratitude for my amazing mom and loving husband. For without their unwavering support and loving care, this journey towards stronger health would've been more difficult. My sweet mom still calls me daily to see how I'm feeling; and together, we recognize and express gratitude for our Heavenly Father's hand in this journey, too.




I remember expressing concern to my mom several months ago that I might not feel well enough to host Thanksgiving Dinner. Just the thought of it broke my heart. You see, I LOVE hosting Thanksgiving.

It is an incredible honor to prepare such a feast and table for my family and friends. To me, it is a gift . . . an act of pure love.







I hope you remember(ed) to take the time to count your blessings, however big - or small - they might be. "For gratitude makes everything turn into a gift" Fiona Childs.

As we head into a new, beautiful, and meaningful season . . . it is not without an incredibly grateful heart that I smile at the close of a wonderful Thanksgiving spent with those who I love and hold dear.





LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .


Thank you for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!











5 comments:

  1. Ah-transitions and adjustments... Never easy! I love your brunch idea though, and the menu looks as decadent and amazing as Thanksgiving dinner. I really hope you make some great new memories in Virginia! Happy Thanksgiving Suzanne! I am definitely grateful for our friendship :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. As you know, I fretted when I didn't get a post in my mailbox. I realize how difficult it is to be away from your loved ones, especially when a day like Thanksgiving is such a treasured tradition. It won't be forever! And I do have a lot to be grateful for -- today I finally got your post in my regular mailbox. It was out of the blue and I was thrilled. I am also grateful to have you as a friend -- you are so sweet and special. Sending big hugs! xoxo Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds so delicious and welcoming too! Please share the recipes for your brunch - I want to do something like this for New Year's Day here in the Rockies! Have a lovely holiday! Hugs, Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elated to know about this thanksgiving party. I am searching for finest NYC venues for arranging my friend’s birthday party. Want to arrange a dinner as well cocktail party for him and hope to find perfect venue for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social media provides a dynamic affiliate platform for constructing of products for each product and the different sizes and colors for business intelligence.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...