Tuesday, November 29, 2016

double chocolate dutch baby



We had a wonderfully fun and FULL Thanksgiving weekend!

I loved having my Littles home for 5 days! We slept in every day, feasted on Thanksgiving brunch left-overs (Pumpkin French Toast! Brown sugar bacon! YUM!!), started decorating for Christmas, and celebrated our oldest son's engagement to his long-time girlfriend.  Although I miss my family and friends back home terribly, we had so much to celebrate and be thankful for, even from afar.

~ Thanksgiving Brunch 2016 ~


We visited our first Tree Farm over the weekend . . . and it was so beautiful!

Snickersgap Tree Farm is nestled on a hillside in the breathtaking area of Bluemont. We bundled up . . . sweatshirts, jackets, gloves, scarves and knit caps . . . and ventured up and down the hillside looking for the perfect tree. I loved watching our Littles run free!

And that view!! Northern Virginia's landscape is breath-taking! It's one of the prettiest states I've visited in our Union.



~ Pumpkin French Toast ~
with cinnamon crumble top and maple cream cheese glaze
RECIPE COMING SOON!

~ Chili Brown Sugar Bacon ~
RECIPE COMING SOON!

~ Sweet Potato Hash  ~
with slow-cooked caramelized onions
RECIPE COMING SOON!

Ok, so our relaxing weekend had me thinking about dutch baby's. 

Have you heard of them, or better yet, have you had one? It's a cross between a tender sweet pancake and a popover. Its base is humble, which makes them the perfect receptacle for syrups, fruits, jams, and powder sugar. 

I shared a recipe for an old-fashioned dutch baby several years ago; and since then - have shared a cinnamon apple and an asparagus & fontina version. They're so simple to prepare and delicious! 

For a hard-core lover of chocolate (that's me!!), I don't know why it took me so long to make a chocolate dutch baby? Well, I couldn't let another weekend pass without figuring out how to make one. 



And Friends, it was so good! So good!

It's puffs are even prettier wearing chocolate!




If you haven't made one before, then let me share again how easy they are to prepare . . . It's as simple as putting all the ingredients in a blender and blending the mixture until it's frothy.  The sizzling hot skillet and butter wait patiently in the oven for the frothy mixture . . . and that's where the magic happens . . . 15 minutes later you have pillows of yumminess!




I recently discovered the magic of flavored maple syrups, too . . .  browned butter maple syrup and chocolate maple syrup. Both are amazing!

I'm going to share the simple recipe for chocolate maple syrup below, because it's uhhhh-mazing on top of a chocolate dutch baby! It's as simple as adding a little cocoa powder and melted butter to maple syrup. Good-NESS!!! 

Add that on top of your chocolate dutch baby, along with fresh whipped cream . . . . and you have a very special breakfast, brunch, or dessert! 

Ok friends, I hope I shared enough photos in this post to send you running into your kitchen to make one!




double chocolate dutch baby
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup, 2 Tablespoons whole milk, room temperature
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
generous pinch of salt
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
chocolate maple syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
fresh whipped cream
1 cup chilled heave cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

Preparation
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place butter into a cold 10-inch cast iron pan or an 8x8 baking dish and place the pan with butter into the oven while the oven is preheating.

In a blender, using a hand mixer, or using a whisk by hand, whip the flour, eggs, milk, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar. Blend or beat the mixture until it is nice and frothy!

Pour the batter in the center of the hot pan. The batter should sizzle in the butter. Close the oven and watch it rise.

Bake for 15 minutes.

While the pancake is baking, mix all the ingredients for the chocolate syrup in a small sauce pan over medium low heat. Set aside.

In a chilled bowl, using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or in a chilled bowl using a hand mixer , whip chilled heavy cream and vanilla. With the mixer running, sprinkle in confectioners sugar. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form.

Let the dutch baby cool slightly before topping it with the chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice.

                                                         .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .






LET'S STAY in touch!
.      .      .      .      .



Thank you so much for stopping by!
I love reading your comments and appreciate them so much!







7 comments:

  1. I just finished my bowl of chili for lunch and I was perfectly satisfied. That is until I read this post. Shame on you for making me hungry again :-) I'd like to make your dutch babies my bambinos! Can't wait to read your next recipe. I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, whether there are many or a few, family makes it special. Have a wonderful day! Sending big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Dutch Babies before. They seem to make so I'm going to make up the asparagus one first. Yum!
    Can't wait for the Chili Bacon recipe. My son loves bacon and loves a little spice. The sweet potato hash browns sound delicious & healthy. Oh my.. My pants are going to get too tight thus Christmas. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness everything looks so delish and your tree farm photo is terrific too. I hope you will stop by and share at the Thursday Favorite Things link party ( you can share until midnight Saturday). It's been a while and you are missed.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog thanks for sharing. I was searching for custom nail product boxes uk and found this amazing website they provide high quality on wholesale with free designing and free shipment in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must Visit this Website they have awesome content for readers.
    Soap Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so delicious....chocolate are the ultimate mood changer...Thankyou for sharing.https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/profile/504036/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so Yummy. I really loved your blogging style because it is very attractive and it grabs reader's attention quickly. Keep sharing more delicious food recipes.
    Best interior design company in Dubai | Office interior design company Dubai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...